Eastbound Fall 2017

1988dolphin

Left Poulsbo, Washington this morning. Took the Bainbridge island ferry into Seattle and drove east on Interstate 90 to Spokane. First long day of driving following the gearing change from 4.10 to 4.88. Drove 264.3 miles in 5 hours 32 minutes with an average speed of 48.2 mph, max speed of 64.8. Average MPG today 13.5. The speedometer adjustment device from Comercial speedometer is accurate in both speed and mileage as compared to GPS. Must admit that I am pleased with the two tanks of gas that I burned today. First tank was 13.1 MPH second was 13.8 with an average of 13.5. I have no way to measure the total altitude gained today. That will be a task for tomorrow. Did climb the Cascades and numberous 2000 to 2500 foot climbs. The gearing change allowed the engine stay around the top of the torque curve. Adding a tach really makes a difference. Even with the long climbs the ATF temp did not get and hotter than 150 degrees, the radiator temp did not exceed 195 degrees. This is in the range that I got with the 4.10 gears over a 1600 mile trip.  I temporarily bypassed the high altitude switch, which Disables the OD button on the shifter lever. I missed this immediately. Once I get supplies I will run the jumper to the OD switch on the shifter lever so I can grab 3rd when the RPMs drop to 2400 RPM or so. I am very pleased with the gearing change. Something one should think about. Spending the night at a truck stop in Spokane. Apps used today includes; Speed Tracker, Gas Tracker Plus, Allstays Camp & RV, and Allstays RV Dumps.

Continuing to shake down Issues related to recent gearing change. I find that there is only so much you can find out in the safety of your driveway. Drive it till it breaks then fix, repeat regularly. Hit an Orilley Auto Parts in Butte for parts and fabricated a toggle switch and harness connect to the overdrive relay wiring harness. Mounted the switch on the shifter lever as recommended by forum members. Longest day  456.2 miles, average speed 49.4 MPH, max speed of 67.8. Gas mileage on the trip to date on the trip: best tank 14.8, (no way dude), worst tank 11.39, overall of 13.1 MPG. I find that with the gearing change the vehicle allows me to drive the vehicle a bit more assertively. The vehicle will now hold a gear significantly longer on climbs. Lots of long climbs, highest altitude reached today 6400 feet. ATF and coolant temp remained in the normal range. Very pleased with performance. Recent installation of insulation under hood does quiet thinks down a bit. Lastly got an opportunity to stop on a totally dark freeway at night and adjust the driving lights. 

Edited by 1988dolphin

• 3 weeks later...

I am continually reminded of the benefits of recent regearing. Gas mileage so far is 13.1 mpg over the last  2645 miles. Average speed is 52.9 mph. Vehicle holds speed on hills so much better. 

So far rear end gearing has been a game changer. Mileage did drop a bit, now averaging 13 mpg, have driven 2643 miles to date with an average speed of 53 mph. Many miles of grades and high altitudes. Am pleased with the 22re. Granted the vehicle underpowered. Yet when driven within the limits of the vehicle you can make fair time.  

Our good friends in the Iowa National Guard provided us a great place to park for the night in Des Moines. Even with the gearing change I do not think I could take one of these home. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

One of those would be a sure cure for tailgaters

• 4 weeks later...

Ok final update. Currently the camper is in the long term lot at the Naval Air Station in Norfolk. We drove just over 4K miles, with 4.88 gears, average speed 53 MPH, average of 13 MPG. The gear change is a must. Now we are sitting in Spain on the beach.