Tripped the breaker at campsite but still no power

Breezin'Millers

While on our first camping trip this weekend in our 1986 Toyota SeaBreeze and were hooked up to site power, we tripped the breaker (we think) by trying to run too many things at once (4 outlets in use with small heater, hot water electric kettle, tv and dvd player). My husband reset the breaker out at the power source at site but still no power inside? Lights worked off battery however.

Are we missing something? Is there a breaker box in the motorhome we also needed to reset? He couldn't find it. We are complete newbies to all of this and have no owners manual!! 

Yes the RV has its own circuit breakers. On toy there usually a couple of them You need to find your power panel. The 110v C/B and the 12v fuses are there.

Far more frequent than it should be is defective circuit breaker at camp ground hookup. Can you reach another hookup to test. 

Had to edit, I forgot the most overlooked one,  a tripped GFI in the Toy will also ruin your day and an 86 likely has one.

Edited by jjrbus

1 hour ago, jjrbus said:

Far more frequent than it should be is defective circuit breaker at camp ground hookup. Can you reach another hookup to test. 

Had to edit, I forgot the most overlooked one,  a tripped GFI in the Toy will also ruin your day and an 86 likely has one.

Here's my next dumb question....whats a tripped GFI and how will it ruin my day? Are we talking about more than just a simple re-flip of the switch?

We have lots of dumb answers so you are in good company!  

A GFI or a GFCI is a ground fault interrupter same as what is found in a house.  Many people have not thought to look for one or it was hidden in the RV and it ruined there day.

I am assuming you have one or that it has not been removed.   

16 minutes ago, jjrbus said:

We have lots of dumb answers so you are in good company!  

A GFI or a GFCI is a ground fault interrupter same as what is found in a house.  Many people have not thought to look for one or it was hidden in the RV and it ruined there day.

I am assuming you have one or that it has not been removed.   

Haha! Ok now I see! Yeah, any idea where ours may be located?! 

40 minutes ago, Breezin'Millers said:

Haha! Ok now I see! Yeah, any idea where ours may be located?! 

It is similar to a regular electrical outlet so should be find able usually near kitchen sink or in bathroom. Slight possibility it is where the refrigerator plugs in which is accessible from the out side.    If your AC works turn it on and see if it is getting power.

One tool I always carry is a multi meter, makes trouble shooting much eaiser. 

A GFI will be some where near water most often in the bath all outlets are downstream of the GFI. Another very useful tool is a simple 3 light plug in device it tests for ground faults and improper wiring, most hardware stores will have them usually a round 5 bucks I leave one plugged into my GFI so I know what's going on as soon as I plug in.

I have found the 3 light plug a great troubleshooting tool. With that and your  multimeter you can figure out just about any electrical issue on your vehicle. 

A related issue in my 1988 Toyota Dolphin I replaced the original converter distribution box with a Progressive Dynamics 4045. In the process I made sure that the main breaker in the converter distribution box applies power to the 115 VAC side of the house only. A second breaker supplies the power to the converter distribution box. This allows me to take on 115 VAC power for heat in situations where if the DC converter portion of the converter distribution box was energized it would pop the most 15 amp GFI outlets that I come across. When on the road I spend a lot of time camped in the yards of friends and in the process have discovered soon to die 15 amp GFI outlets. Keeping your amperage draw below 15 amps does make life simpler and warmer at night. Since I am driving daily the battery bank, (2 Costco GC2 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in series), is always topped off.  

Edited by 1988dolphin

Interesting. My 86 Granville has no GFI outlets just 3 regular 110. I also have no 110 outlet in the bath (don't need a hair dryer lol.) I attempted to replace one of my outlets with a heavy duty Levinton while restoring the coach but a No Go! Informed by WME that our RV outlets are wired differently than @ home! The wires are crimped somehow to the rear of the RV outlet making changing them out nearly impossible! 

Yes RV outlets are a different animal the walls are not deep enough for an outlet box. As far as wiring they are the same configuration with colors but they make contact by cutting through the wire insulation when they are assembled. I think some where you'll have a  GFI have a look inside your outside outlet box if you have one.  If it's inside a GFI won't fit  in the walls so they have a box extension that sticks out from the wall a good bit.

No GFI outlets anywhere in my rig Maineah. No outside outlets either. I have no idea on how to change them. No worries leaving them alone as they work fine. 

3 hours ago, markwilliam1 said:

No GFI outlets anywhere in my rig Maineah. No outside outlets either. I have no idea on how to change them. No worries leaving them alone as they work fine. 

GFI breaker? I do not know motorhome code requirements by year so maybe if the bath has no outlets it's OK generally if water is involved there has to be one. Trying to retrofit outlets in a old MH is a fool's errand there is just not enough depth to get them in a wall and there is no slack in the wiring once the RV ones are installed.

4 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

Same Problem Derek it is just too deep if it's a replacement yes but to retro fit it would be a great endeavor it would be far easier to change out the breaker for a GFI type if  one is needed because of the lack of excess wiring. 

Like Maineah and WME stated very hard to do! I attempted to replace one in Grannie and couldn't even remove it from the wall. It is clamped somehow to the wiring inside the wall. You would have to cut out the wall to gain access to the outlets rear wire connections! Not for me.

Here is the guilty party to non excess power line runs. One of the few things that the mfgs did right. It prevents rattles.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allstar-Performance-3-8-in-ID-Nylon-Adel-Line-Clamp-50-pc-P-N-18312-50-/232420783579?epid=1337062827&hash=item361d5bb5db:g:XfcAAOSwqjJZdBSU&vxp=mtr

RV manufactures discovered air power staplers many years ago and things went downhill from there! You are likely to find anything in a RV to make your life a great deal more difficult and easy for them!  

Hey Millers got power yet??:huh: