How is SunRader Lock Receiver attached?

ToyoGuy

I have a friend who is a fellow '85 SunRader owner; and is trying to figure out how the bullet style lock-receiver plate is attached to the left side of the door frame of his coach. Somehow, according to him, there is a block of wood in the mix. Maybe it's glassed to the interior wall? or screwed to something? (the rig is not where I can get to it)  

I changed mine out to a Bargman so long ago and have forgotten, and he has not reached the "adventurously aggressive" stage of repairs yet in his quest for a well-functioning lockset.

Does anyone remember how the plate is attached, or have a coach stripped down far enough to comment?

Thanks for any help offered.

BR,

TG

Mie is screwed into what looks like a block of wood. I can't tell because it's still covered with very attractive formerly brown shag carpet. Doesn't look glassed to anything. Just sticks out from wall on that side and looks to be attached to framing around the door. 19 inches long ad 2 1/2 x2 width ad depth.

Linda S

Thanks Linda,  I guess I'll be peeling that formerly attractive shaggy stuff back and taking a closer look this weekend. My curiosity is killing me. If I solve the mystery. I'll report back.

TG

Something else about that mechanism. Last month my door wouldn't open. Not at all. I had to unscrew the bullet latch part. Wasn't the door. Latch released fine when not attached. Bullet mechanism had come out of alinement. Screwed it back in and didn't open again no matter how hard I tried to line it up. So I screwed it in really tight and hit it the plate with a hammer to lift the bullet part. Works fine now. Just in case anyone thinks their lock is done for try a hammer. Think block holes are loosening up from all the door banging over the years

Linda S

• 2 weeks later...

So my buddy paid homage to the staple god and finally removed all the carpeting from around the "lock receiver mounting board".See pix below.  Because his '85 SunRader (18'er) has had the oven/stove removed, we could see that the board for the lock receiver is held in place by screws located inside inside of the panel wall to the left side of the oven. (In this inside shot, the bottom screw head is obscured by a plywood shelf the PO installed) Not having an oven in place, I couldn't swear it, but, it might be possible for a nimble person to remove the outside entry light fixture and reach through to access the screw heads instead of having to pull the oven. The screws are 2 1/2" long square socket-head configuration. Hope this helps someone who's working on a similar issue.

BR,

TG

Lock Receiver attachment board.JPG

Mounting Board pushed to side showing screw hole.JPG

Mounting board inside.JPG

Edited by ToyoGuy
Tech edit