Roof Rack/Basket

N-Hubb

So I have been looking into getting a roof rack or roof rack/basket system for the top of my 1987 Toyota Dolphin so I can put my kayaks and other gear on top of the roof. I was just wondering if anyone on here has done this or has any ideas on how I should approach doing this.

Thanks!!

There are two separate approaches. Conventional is to drill holes in the roof, put rubber pads, and screw in a u shaped roof rack with mounts. There will be 10+ mounts through which the rack tubes are mounted. These will eventually leak. And if you overload the rack or load assymetrically then it may well push the base of a rack mount through the roof.

The other approach is to clamp to the seams. There isnt much to clamp on, and given the seven feet width it wont take too much weight or be very stable.

Neither approach is without risks. If you can avoid drilling the roof, then do. You could laydown a rubber sheet and just have tie downs at the seams for the kayak. Wont store anything else but something as light as a kayak.

As always your exprience and mileage will vary. many people claim their roof racks are screwed at studs and have never leaked. Mine werent and did.

Best case for the weak roofs of Toyota motorhomes is to attach right at the edge of the roof. The walls are better equipped to handle the extra weight load than the roof. There are bumper mount kayak carriers but they are very expensive. 

https://www.rvkayakracks.com/prices

Our member Roy made his own similar to this using a hitch carrier.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?/topic/7144-installed-vertical-kayakbike-rack-on-sunrader/&tab=comments#comment-58049

Linda S

• 2 weeks later...

Eight years ago I decided to made a canoe rack on the top of mine.  I purchased 16 feet of composite wood decking (cut it in two 8 foot length in the Lowes parking lot).  I basically laid the two 8 foot sections on the outside roof edge and drilled four small pilot holes into each one that brought me into the cabinets, about 1.5 inches from the wall.  I decided to use 1/4 inch wood lag screws instead of bolts, I figured it would make for a tighter seal.  I caulked up the screw treads and area around the hole and screwed them in.  They extend about a 1/2 below the ceiling.  I check on the screw holes a couple times a year (last 8 years) and no sign of water damage / leaks.  The purpose of the screws was to keep the rack (all 1/2 water pipe) in place (from sliding around the roof), I still need to strap down the canoe to the front / rear bumper.  If one wanted to just be able to strap down to the rack, I would of used longer screws (or bolts) and put in a 2x4s inside the cabinets in order to secure the rank to a large internal surface (the 2x4).