Easy, Inexpensive Upgrade - Digital Thermostat

Very simple upgrade to the old-school, round thermostats that you find in most vintage RVs. Much easier to read/set accurate temps and takes less than 5 minutes to do the swap: 2 wires and 2 mounting screws.

Emerson 1E78-140 (found mine for $18 on eBay w/shipping).

image.jpg

Edited by Ctgriffi

Absolutely, I spent about 10 bucks more and have one with a programmable timer that also works as a alarm clock when it puts the heat on in the morning!

wow thats pretty neat! I would love to do that to mine as well. Just curious, around how much amp draw does your heater fan motor use? as mine seems to draw a lot and my battery level drops from around 12.9 to 12.5, maybe my batteries just need to be swapped soon.

Thanks Zp

I did the same thing Ctg. Bought a basic Honeywell recommended by WME. Much better and more accurate than the old analog unit. Has no bells and whistles like Maineah's though. Highly recommended!

5 hours ago, Sc8122rodys said:

wow thats pretty neat! I would love to do that to mine as well. Just curious, around how much amp draw does your heater fan motor use? as mine seems to draw a lot and my battery level drops from around 12.9 to 12.5, maybe my batteries just need to be swapped soon.

Thanks Zp

Most of the heaters draw around 3 -4 amps or so.

Oh okay thank you WME that seems about right. 

Just time for me to replace my batteries I suppose. I've gone through two 12v 36ah sla chrome juice boxes in about 2 years. Guess that lifespan is marginal. 

Does anyone have any input for house batteries regarding number of units and amp hour capacity?

11 hours ago, Sc8122rodys said:

Oh okay thank you WME that seems about right. 

Just time for me to replace my batteries I suppose. I've gone through two 12v 36ah sla chrome juice boxes in about 2 years. Guess that lifespan is marginal. 

Does anyone have any input for house batteries regarding number of units and amp hour capacity?

Loaded question just running a couple LED's you can get by with something the size of a lawn tractor battery but to be realistic a group 24-27 battery should be fine for your application. 80-110 amps.