I am in the process of rebuilding the cooling system in my 1982 Sunrader. The fan clutch, when cold, has a small amount of coupling resistance between the shaft and the fan, but when I heat the clutch assemble up with a heat gun (very hot), the shaft resistance does not increase very much. When very hot should the shaft lock to the fan assembly, or at least should the coupling between the two be very stiff? I hate to spent the money for a new one if it is not needed.

Thanks for any info,

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

If your engine was overheating, the fan clutch is the cheapest and most likely culprit, my pickup truck (2003 Silverado 2500 257k miles) would only overheat when pulling my boat all test looked like fan was fine, changed it anyway, problem solved.  The testing didn't show the fine line between OK and good enough.  

thanks to you both for the info. I went ahead and changed it since I had changed the thermostat, radiator, radiator cap and hoses. All is well now.

Bill

Does it make more noise at speed when the engine is warm? none of them completely lockup some may go as high as 90% but I think the Toy home ones are more in the 70% range. Heating it only opens the valve that controls the fluid flow inside so without a good rotational speed it won't be obvious.