Anybody added an aux gas tank, or replaced their tank with a larger capacity? I plan on making the trek to AK in the spring, and stations can be few and far between.  Maybe someone has figured out a way around this? Even a good way of carrying extra gas would be helpful... thanks:)

Yup that's my motorhome. Have been out of cell service for a while. Trying to catch up. Two 2.5 gallon gas cans on the back. Had to use them once because I didn't look forward. I can get 200 miles out of a tank, it can be done without extra gas cans. look forward and calculate the miles to the next gas, but don't always count on it being there. Fill up if at all concerned

Darrel.

Thanks for the replys:)

I actually made the drive last summer, pulling a small trailer with my jeep.  I know I won't count on 200/miles a tank in the Dolphin, especially loaded for a long trip. And even paying attention/keeping filled up, there are some long stretches of road up there...

And we had to wait one overnight for the only station to get their pumps fixed, and deal with stations being open early/late.  No doubt I could swing it, but at some potential risk of hassle. 

I'd really sooner have more fuel capacity anyway, even for shorter trips. We just did a 400 mile inaugural roundtrip into Canada and it felt like I was stopping for gas constantly. I wouldn't keep a large/second tank full constantly, to avoid the weight, bit it sure wound be nice to have the capacity. 

So...anyone do this modification?

There is no larger tank. An added tank is very complicated with an in tank fuel pump. I have seen some extra tanks done on the Toyota 4x4 sites but it always involved putting the extra tank where your spare tire is. I've always thought an early T100 tank 93 and 94 only, might fit but never bought one just out of curiosity. Same general shape as ours but 25 gallons. There are a few extra inches under mine where the tank could be longer. No aftermarket ones though. Need to find one at a junk yard and it might not fit. They used the same engine as yours so pump and other stuff would be the same.

Linda S

My Nissan Sunrader has a 21 gallon tank. Also same general shape and fuel pressure is same as Toyota. the 21 gallon tanks are only found on the D21 V6 king cab 4x4 and the dually 1 ton trucks.

This is my Alaska bumper. It got us all the way to Prudhoe bay this summer. I could have gotten by with 1 can, but the extra one is nice for piece of mind. 

The cans are Wavian brand and are the current NATO military issue. They are the best gas cans i've ever had. I haven't spilled/leaked a drop in 6 months of use.

Notice the 2nd spare too. We carried two and used zero. However, it is something I would not have gone without. Some of those roads can get pretty rough.

The last thing we bought was a CB radio. You'll need it on Atigan pass.

WP_20170911_11_47_33_Pro.resized.jpg