Would anybody hazard a guess as to the possible ground clearance under an 85 Dolphin? I know it will depend on a lot of variables. I'm just looking for some kind of idea. We're going boon docking up an old logging road that has some amount of ruts, etc. 

Thanks!

Just measure it from your rear bumper. That's usually the area where it will drag going up an incline. If you talking ruts on flat roads measure your lowest point under your rig. Make sure your fully loaded when measuring. There's not much clearance underneath especially where your tanks drain valve hangs down. I'd be Very careful. If you damaged your holding tanks or drains your in for a world of hurt! There's no standard clearance on our Toys due to age and many other variables.

Back when I was young and crazy, my 50's, I did a fair share of back woods roads. Cell service wasn't so great then so I knew if I got stuck I was on my own. Always brought a small camp shovel and a come-along. I would stop and fill deep ruts and drag large branches and rocks out of the way. Time consuming on some roads but I had no way of knowing what was coming so prepared is always the best way to go. Never did get stuck. Sierra Nevada mountains and some 4x4 only roads. Shangri-La is out there. You just need to find it.

Linda S

We have a 1985 Sunrader shorty and do a lot of boony camping. The first thing that got removed was the entry steps for the coach. They hung down more that anything else and I could see that they were probably the first thing to get torn off. We also installed airbags in the rear. We carry folding steps and they work for us. We have only been stuck once and that wasn't a clearance issue, but stupidity and overconfidence.

Bill

On 9/4/2017 at 8:16 PM, jmowrey said:

Would anybody hazard a guess as to the possible ground clearance under an 85 Dolphin? I know it will depend on a lot of variables. I'm just looking for some kind of idea. We're going boon docking up an old logging road that has some amount of ruts, etc. 

Thanks!

Well my brilliant GPS sent me into the woods of NH on a logging road (it decided it was a short cut) the Nova Star did a yeoman's job mind you they did come with a 9 leaf rear spring pack. It was a single track all went well until we encountered a pickup after a slight argument the pickup owner decided I had the upper hand after I told him I had a place to stay a comfortable bed and food he decided that he could backup a 1/4 mile to a turn off. So it can be done but not recommended.