I've found one old thread that never got finished about this. Looking to see if it's worth it or if I should just stick with my original plan of a 1uz. Any input would be great. Have a few om's coming up for auction near me 

Edited by 85shasta
Mis spelled a word

On 9/3/2017 at 0:34 AM, 85shasta said:

I've found one old thread that never got finished about this. Looking to see if it's worth it or if I should just stick with my original plan of a 1uz. Any input would be great. Have a few om's coming up for auction near me 

Not sure what you are attempting to do, but I have installed  the 617 Mercedes 5 cyl diesel into two vehicles..These are GREAT engines.... ran one for about 10 years in a series Land Rover on cooking oel.

major oel pan work was needed on that vehicle..   What is it you are wanting to do & wanting to know?................ donnie

I'm wanting to know if it's worth the effort and cost compared to just swapping a Toyota v8. I want to be able to keep up with traffic on the highway, pull my boat easily and still get decent mileage. I know the om617 can handle more boost but there's also not a ton of things you can do to hop up the horsepower. 

On 9/6/2017 at 11:09 PM, 85shasta said:

I'm wanting to know if it's worth the effort and cost compared to just swapping a Toyota v8. I want to be able to keep up with traffic on the highway, pull my boat easily and still get decent mileage. I know the om617 can handle more boost but there's also not a ton of things you can do to hop up the horsepower. 

If you plan to pull a boat= go with the V8 gas-------------  if you want better mileage= 617------------  I  was able to get great  mileage with the turbo 617, but  lacked power in a 3500 # vehicle  with 235 x 16 inch tires & 4:10  gears.. it drove fine  using a Fairy overdrive & splitting gears,  but I would not have tried pulling anything behind it....   just my opinion

Sound like an expensive adventure my guess is Tundra engine maybe a bit pricy then of course you'll need the tras to go along with it.

15 hours ago, Maineah said:

Sound like an expensive adventure my guess is Tundra engine maybe a bit pricy then of course you'll need the tras to go along with it.

The v8 to be used would be a 1uz out of a Lexus ls400. Could keep my trans or used the auto.