85 Shasta

85shasta

If I have my breakers on so I can use shore or gen power all my D/c power gets turned off. None of the lights work, water pump, ect. Is it supposed to be this way or is something wrong. 

There is a charge relay inside of the converter that disconnects the battery from the system when it is plugged in. The converter/charger has two separate systems one charges the battery the other supplies 12 volt power to the lights etc. The relay is powered by the 120 volt system so when it's plugged in the relay engages disconnecting the battery so if the converter is toes up and you are plugged in the relay thinks all is well and disconnects the battery so git can not supply power to the camper. Two things either the converter is bad or it's not getting 120 volt power but the fact the relay works it's probably the converter some were fused inside of the converter that of course involves removing the converter to get to it. Now would be a good time to upgrade.

11 hours ago, 85shasta said:

Awesome thank you maineah are there any direct fit upgrades?

For some thing that old I doubt it. it's not a real tough retrofit. What do you have for a system?

4 hours ago, Maineah said:

For some thing that old I doubt it. it's not a real tough retrofit. What do you have for a system?

I'm honestly not sure it's just the factory system. I assume it's in the breaker fuse block. Was hoping for a converter/inverter combo but the cost is far out of the budget 

12 hours ago, 85shasta said:

I'm honestly not sure it's just the factory system. I assume it's in the breaker fuse block. Was hoping for a converter/inverter combo but the cost is far out of the budget 

You can leave all of that stuff in place. I'm pretty sure it was like the one in my Nova Star they were very popular I removed the old unit and then removed the old converter/charger if for no other reason it weighed a ton all though it was not necessary to do so. You can install a new switching supply right behind or next to the old one I actually used the original power leads to power the new one. It does require some knowledge of wiring but it's not a real tough job. Like Linda said a picture would do or a number from the old one. If it is what I think it is there is an easy way to deal with this.

Edited by Maineah

Here is a low budget install/redo I did for a friend