Howdy All,

I am beginning to get a "lazy" pinion gear performance from my starter. It is dis-engaging a bit slowly when it's cold and I don't want to screw-up the ring gear by leaving it that way too long.  (22RE motor, standard trans)

The FSM says this can be variously due to "faulty magnetic switch" or "Damaged or worn pinion gear or ring gear". Hmmm, a faulty magnetic switch, WTH?

A Denso-brand reman appears to be about $45 plus shipping online.and this is not original parts pedigree.

A solenoid-only repair kit online is $18 and a whole starter repair kit, with the pinion, is the price of the whole Denso rebuild. Any reason not to just replace the whole thing?

Any words of whizdumb here? I have heard these starters are "bullet-proof" and well worth keeping, IF you have an OEM, but alas, I am not so equipped.

Thanks for any input,

BR,  TG

Edited by ToyoGuy
motor description

The gear engages the flywheel correctly to start the motor, but when the engine starts, it's like the pinion gear assy doesn't withdraw/snap-back fast enough and there's a little bit of "razzle" or slight grinding when the ring gear spins off the very end of the pinion gear, which is likely going a lot slower at that point.

Sounds suspiciously like the reverse and more common problem where, when trying to start a vehicle, the starter gear occasionally grinds the flywheel, but doesn't mesh enough to fully engage to the flywheel and can't start the motor.

Hey Toyo I was concerned about my starter also. Got the dreaded click and no start a couple of times. Just needed to clean all contacts and grounds. I also didn't want to replace it with an aftermarket unit. Wanted Toyota OEM. Got a rebuilt Toyota starter from a Toyota dealer and carry it in Grannie now just in case. Cost me $70 without a core exchange. I'd get a rebuilt Toyota starter. PS they didn't make them new anymore.

Edited by markwilliam1
More info.

Thanks markwilliam1,

It's definitely time to get a stockpile going. The days of  "OEM, on the shelf"  are sadly  gone. I'll make the call tomorrow and see what the dealer here in Cali. wants for a rebuilt compared to Ohio price. Should be interesting......

BR,  TG

1 hour ago, ToyoGuy said:

Thanks markwilliam1,

It's definitely time to get a stockpile going. The days of  "OEM, on the shelf"  are sadly  gone. I'll make the call tomorrow and see what the dealer here in Cali. wants for a rebuilt compared to Ohio price. Should be interesting......

BR,  TG

Not gone. Your truck started out as a regular 4x4 long wheel base truck. Brand new starters are still available from Toyota for less than 100 bucks. Think yours is an RN6? have to put in vin to narrow down the right one

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/parts-list/1984-toyota-pickup/starter.html?PNC=28100

Linda S

Millions of 4x4 trucks still on the road. Not so many cab and chassis heavy models. They still make parts for the millions

Linda is the parts source Queen! I bought my starter from Metro Toyota in Michigan. $70.00 core charge included. The parts manager stated the starters for the 22RE are no longer made. He said Toyota still sells them but they are all rebuilt by Toyota. They are essentially brand new using only the old case and core with new windings. Toyota even repaints the case! Mine looks brand new. Maybe 4X4's are different? I'm just going by what the parts manager told me. 

On 9/2/2017 at 11:26 PM, ToyoGuy said:

The gear engages the flywheel correctly to start the motor, but when the engine starts, it's like the pinion gear assy doesn't withdraw/snap-back fast enough and there's a little bit of "razzle" or slight grinding when the ring gear spins off the very end of the pinion gear, which is likely going a lot slower at that point.

Sounds suspiciously like the reverse and more common problem where, when trying to start a vehicle, the starter gear occasionally grinds the flywheel, but doesn't mesh enough to fully engage to the flywheel and can't start the motor.

You may want to take a close look at your flywheel. There will be 2 worn spots check them carefully for damaged teeth.

Thanks Linda, MW1 and Maineah,

Found the correct starter and it's finally getting cooler here, so I can work on the rig and inspect all parts/areas.

TG