Is an ac unit too heavy for roof, at almost a 100lb?

Ellie R

Hello everyone! 

I just bought a little 20 footer itasca sundancer from 87, such a cute little thing! Now, I want to install an air conditioner in it, but I need some advice... I got a used dometic low profile penguin, but it looks huge! 

Im worried about two things: is an extra 100lb going to slow down the little  4 cylinder motor down to a crawl? We want to be able to do some driving with it, and living in Colorado one will always have mountain passes to get through...

The second thing I worry about is the roof: will it hold up the weight of this monster ac and not sag? 

Do you guys have any experience with that? 

Thanks!

IMG_5290.JPG

Edited by Ellie R

Remove the center vent check for an 110vAC connection, Check to see if there are metal frames front and back of the vent hole.

If your Toy was factory AC, 90% had standard 13.5 k btu ACs. So what you have is a good fit.

Thank you guys! It was indeed manufactured with an option for a 7.500 BTU AC, I saw in the brochure... I have twice that now, but maybe the got a litlle lighter with the years?

Anyways, I just saw that the tires that were on the thing were from 1998, yikes! Gotta go fix that first...

Now, to figure out how to get that heavy AC on the roof!

Think Egyptian pyramid, A real long ladder laid on the edge of the roof. Use a rope to pull it up the incline. A helper to keep it on the rails.

It will be fine. If you see any sign of sagging later then there are some clever fixes for that in this forum as well. Make sure you have all correct parts for it since it's used unit