Because I have the 1 ton axle I'm not sure if the FSM 1/2 ton info is relevant. When I was checking the ujoints due to clunking when shifting, I discovered that  I have half an inch of play in my propeller shaft. Anyone know what the maximum spec on the play is?

That's probably where all my annoying driveline slack is. I'm thinking the clunking while shifting delio is a worn out rear transmission mount because the shifter pulls really hard to one side if I dump the clutch in first.

Movement  front to back or side side?

On 09/01/2017 at 0:16 AM, WME said:

Movement  front to back or side side?

1/2" rotational play, should have specified. Side to side maybe 1/16. I haven't properly checked front to back by jacking the transmission but otherwise none.

23 hours ago, Maineah said:

Sounds fairly normal to me for a 34 year old truck. Ring to pinion play and old engine mounts.

Yeah I figure the pinion is too far forward or the ring gear is too far to the side, but I definitely don't know what the hell I'm doing and can't reshim the bearings. The differential is frightening since it's the only part of the driveline that can't be DIY'd and I'm too broke for a gear shop :P

Mostly just needing to know (hoping) the diff isn't going to grenade itself anytime soon. Picking up that slack can't be good for the gears.

Edited by 256bit