Help needed with a good mechanic in 400 miles radius of Phoenix metro

Hi

I need help with a good mechanic in Phoenix metro. I would travel anywhere within 300-400 miles for a good one.

About our Sunrader:

- 1986, 21ft, RD, 22RE EFI, bought in 2016 at around 97k miles in excellent condition from an old couple

- put about 14k miles on it in about 2 months boondocking around Oregon, California, Nevada, Utah and Arizona 

- washboards and side roads took a toll on it but still works (except it loosened some seals etc)

- absolutely love it

Help needed:

- I am not a dyi in mechanical space unless is super easy with step by step instructions thus I need a good mechanic or shop that can help with following: (I have bad experience with dealers or shops in general on this subject, most are ridiculously useless, I have a funny one to tell)

1. Moved to Phoenix so running flat highway at over 100F at 55/60mph gets water to the first white line on the gauge. Trying to avoid trips in summer but I wonder if there is an upgrade to the engine cooling system 

2. Several times in our 14k trip, when prolonged climbing was involved, at certain points the engine felt like loosing power for several seconds despite acceleration pedal kept the same and slope having steady grade. This while water was at about 60% so not high. A dillema I cannot solve and mechanics look at me clueless. (since it runs perfect and only behaves like that in certain conditions, it cannot be replicated easily). This is the most stress I have when travelling with it, I don't know if it is engine, transmission, cooling of transmission etc)

3. I would like to improve suspension due to the type of traveling we do which involves going on unimproved roads to find a good boondocking spot. No need for rock crawling but is annoying to have to turn just because the road ruts are 2 inches too high. Thinking of installing on board air for tires (to ease the washboard traveling), upgrade springs and shocks, lift the camper few inches (as much as the front suspension allows without compromising alignment)

4. Install air lock for differential for occasional loose terrain and improve transmission

5. Tires, nobody has 14" rims off road tires. Terrible. I would like to up to 15" rims to find off road tires easier.

So if you have any recommendations for a mechanic that can do above within 300-400 miles of Phoenix, I would appreciate it.

I don't want to buy an overland vehicle yet since we love this so much and I think with several improvements it would all it needs to do.

Thank you for reading

Klein

I have lots more mechanic/garage/dealer horror stories to tell than you!

I have always had good luck in a pinch asking for mechanic at auto parts stores.   Preferably NAPA.   

I go to the local auto show occasionally and chat with the guys there about who they use.

On #1 you should check the basics first.. if there's any restriction in the radiator, or if there's any coolant coming out of the weep hole on the water pump

On #2, grades can be very deceptive. Get an inclinometer and it may just answer your question. I was having similar concerns until I discovered that I'm just "incline challenged" (sometimes I can't even tell if we're going uphill or downhill)

On #3, start with new shocks and an air lift/bags. Shocks are simple and inexpensive. The air kit should be no more than $350ish plus labour if you're not DIYing it.