Hi All,

I've been putting it off for some time, but my wife and I are making good progress on the Sunrader and it needs to get done.  What exactly am I looking for here?  I know 6 lug, looking for all the wheels (7 would be best).  Am I looking for airbags?  What year should I be searching?  Is there a good site where I can search for all this?  Any alternatives to the old axle?

Thanks,

Rob

The axle and airbags are 2 different subjects. Does your rig sit level when loaded for a trip, does it bottom out often? If yes then your in the market for airbags OR a spring redo and now would be the time to do one or the other, or even both. Search around this site for both subject matters.

Axle.. Toyota actually shipped 3 different axle upgrade kits A B C. So you may have to be a bit crafty do to the swap.

Differences....Spring mounts (width between centers). shock mounts, both shocks in front of axle or staggered (one in front one in back of the axle), emergency brake cable, ujoint flange Nothing super major but things should be checked before you get to far into the game

To find a good axle you have to be there, check end play in ujoint flange and axles, gear slack, smoothness turning. Long distance buys are a crap shoot, try to find one with the lowest miles.

Okay, so I know that I have staggered shock mounts.  So I know I'm looking for that atleast.  I plan on doing this myself, because I haven't even been able to find someone willing to talk about doing the swap around here.  Basically, I'm looking for an axle that lines up with my truck?  Same width in spring mounts, staggered shock mounts, and same emergency brake cable situation?  

Sorry for all the questions, but like you can guess, I've never done this before.    

The big deals are the shocks and springs. The others are simple.

Measure the spring width, Get the shock mounts with the new axle. New shocks and rear u joint

Edited by WME

Measured everything today.  Looks like the springs are in the right spot (39 1/4"), however, axle diameter is 2 1/2" so it looks like I need springs and ubolts as well.  Or maybe just U bolts/shock mounts.  

Called a few shops and the axles are available, although pricey.  1400K for axle, springs/mounts, and 4 wheels.  Everybody else I've called has the axle, but either no wheels or no springs.  

Your springs will work, just need new u-bolts and the shock mounts for the newer axle. Rims are the problem you will need at least 4. If you find 6 then you will need adapters for the front axle.

Best thing is find a wrecked Toy and get the rear axle, rims AND the front suspension. Spindles, brakes,adapters and rims

Really, really left field answer start looking for a total cra**er Toyota MH on craigs list and buy it strip it for the parts you need and junk the rest

I just realized that when I was down there looking at the axle there is another U bolt which connects a bar that goes across the top of the axle.  Any ideas about this or if this will be a problem with the new axle?  I measured the current axle where the U bolts for the suspension connect the leaf springs and the diameter is 2.5 "

Thanks

The bar probably goes to the rear brake valve. Many of us have disabled it by attaching it to the frame/floor of the rv. So don't worry about it

It isnt in your yard yet???

Looks good get everything, Got rims?

Dont forget the sway bar

Sway bar is across the rear of the axle. If you can get the diff unless its big $$. Its nice to have a spare just incase. But your center section should fit

44 minutes ago, TheGrayOutdoors said:

Okay great.  Anybody know exactly what I need to do the front wheel conversion as well?  Wheels, calipers, rotors?  I think I have a lead on that.

How ironic. I just picked up a swap set for my Shorty last night.. 

I got lucky and found everything all at once. and since the previous owner harvested them for his Sunrader project (never finished it) he was careful to take everything.

I know that some of this stuff can be pretty hard to find. 

IIRC you need the hubs, rotors, calipers, caliper mount, and backing plates. Of course you'll need the wheels and lug nuts too..

Good luck on your hunt.

Edited by Sigmaz

Picked up the rear axle and got a wheel thrown in.  I drove three hours to pick it up and the mechanic removing it from the truck quit in the middle of the job.  So, I got a lesson in removing it myself.  Going to pick up all the parts needed to convert the front wheels to 6 lug today.  Now I just need 4 wheels for the back and I'm good to go:)  Will post progress picks as I go.  Thanks to everyone for your help.  

FullSizeRender.jpg

Or here:-

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/shock-absorbers/bilstein/rv-motorhome/toyota?gclid=CjwKEAjwiqTNBRDV48OGlrLAk3ESJABrHfTKSliWw6g8Io3K0LcqsKLYFrtmChN_xfroeT_J_ijhNhoCOVbw_wcB

Plus they've an additional discount if your order is over $150 (-$15). $250 (-$25), etc. :)

Or you might be able to buy a set of lightly used ones from Linda. :):)

Yeah I'm not taking the Bilsteins off but I bought mine here. Wow you've got some super heavy duty leaf springs there.

Linda S

http://raceconsultingagency.com/

and here are the part numbers

24-184830 BILSTEIN Truck & Off Road - B6 4600 Series Shocks (24-184830)
B6 4600 Series
46mm Monotube Shock Absorber
Boot Included : Blue Straight
Finish : Yellow Paint
Internal Design : Monotube
Lower Mount Type : Bar Pin
Position : Front
Upper Mount Type : Stem
$65.19 $130.38
2 24-002585 BILSTEIN Truck & Off Road - B6 4600 Series Shocks (24-002585)
B6 4600 Series
46mm Monotube Shock Absorber
Boot Included : Blue Straight
Finish : Yellow Paint
Internal Design : Monotube
Lower Mount Type : Eye 16mm
Position : Rear
Upper Mount Type : Eye 16mm
$65.19 $130.38

Yes, those leaf springs are insane.  Don't know if I need to throw them on my sunrader, plus they are missing the straps.  I might just sell them.  I've run into a snag already.  The passenger side of the dually is a different lug thread than the driver's side.  Is this normal?  Are they reverse threaded on the passenger side?

Only an axle from 1986 would have reverse threads anywhere and they are on the drivers side. Did that wheel come from the same rig? if so is it 6 hand hole or 3. 6 would be an 86. Lug bolts can be changed. I bet Derek has a link for them.

Linda S

Someone else here just posted about wanting more lift to do back road driving. Maybe your giant springs are just what he needs. In Phoenix so not that far

Going to be cleaning the axle up on Tuesday and hoping to get it opened up and repack the bearings.  Does anyone have a service manual for the dually axle or any information regarding service?  I've just been looking on Youtube and what not.  

A recent DIY redo on rear axle...

There is a utube video link on a brake job in the middle of the post some where, lots of useful info there too.

Edited by WME