Coleman TSR Rooftop AC issue

N-Hubb

I have a Coleman TSR Roftoop ac that I have been using a 3,500 watt generator to power. Now all the sudden the ac is drawing over 4,000 watts of initial power when starting up the ac and it then overloads my generator. I am trying to figure out why the ac is all the sudden drawing such a crazy high load when it was fine a month ago and just drawing a max power of maybe 2200 watts. Is this some sort of electrical issue with my air conditioner? Just trying to figure out what it might be so i can begin working on it soon. 

Thanks,

Nik

Did you go to a much warmer area? My mighty little Honda will start my roof air when the temperature is 80 but trips the overload and will not start it when the temperature rises.  Fan could be stuck, will fan run separate?

About the only thing I can service in an AC is the capacitor, I do not have the proper meter to test one accurately . So I buy a new one $20 and install. There are a 1000 videos on how to test a capacitor with a multi meter,  the test shows a bad capacitor not a weak capacitor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDf2UmASTfQ

What's the BTUs of your AC? I have a Dometic 11K  AC and my Honda 2000i runs it perfectly. I just returned from the Solar Eclipse in Carbondale Illinois and the temp was 92 with 85% humidity. Ran the roof AC all day with the Honda. Temp inside Grannie went from 100 degrees down to a cool 80 degrees! I agree with Derek. My little Honda couldn't run my AC until I replaced Both the run capacitor and the start capacitor. Could be a capacitor problem or possibly your AC motor?

3 hours ago, markwilliam1 said:

What's the BTUs of your AC? I have a Dometic 11K  AC and my Honda 2000i runs it perfectly. I just returned from the Solar Eclipse in Carbondale Illinois and the temp was 92 with 85% humidity. Ran the roof AC all day with the Honda. Temp inside Grannie went from 100 degrees down to a cool 80 degrees! I agree with Derek. My little Honda couldn't run my AC until I replaced Both the run capacitor and the start capacitor. Could be a capacitor problem or possibly your AC motor?

Mark we just returned from watching the solar eclipse as well!! We were in Douglas Wyoming..so beautiful. Something has got to be wrong with the AC because its never pulled 4500-5000 watts of energy before. So yall think it is probably the capacitor that i should investigate? 

There are only 3 things that most owners can do to an AC.  Clean filters, coils and evaporator,  replace the fan motor and replace the the capacitor.  If the inside is clean and the fan is running that leaves the capacitor.  Assuming all connections are clean and tight. 

Other than replacing capacitor or fan motor I would not spend any money on a 20 year old ac unit. The only reason I would mess with fan motor is I have a spare one.  

Only my opinion and the way I do it.  

Yeah I spoke with someone at an rv repair place and he said it sounds like the compressor and that it will most likely need an entire new unit

2 hours ago, N-Hubb said:

Yeah I spoke with someone at an rv repair place and he said it sounds like the compressor and that it will most likely need an entire new unit

I would change the capacitor first before I condemned the a/c unit!

Get another opinion! Capacitors are not too expensive. Replace both the run and start capacitors like rv said first.