Our camper usually just starts right up but in recent months it has developed a pause in between turning the the key and starting to crank. It usually happens when it hasn't been started for awhile but it seems to be happening more regularly. It will hesitate for up to about a second before it starts to crank and turn over.

i thought maybe some corrosion somewhere?  Any ideas?

My 85 Granville started doing exactly the same thing. Since nobody rebuilds starters in my area anymore I bought a rebuilt (by Toyota) starter from the Toyota dealer to keep in Grannie just in case. If I ever need a new starter I wanted a Genuine Toyota starter not an AutoZone Chinese starter.  I took Grannie to my mechanic to clean all the contracts going to and from the starter and had all grounds cleaned also. My mechanic suggested to also a new ground wire and install it directly to the engine block in addition to the firewall ground. After just completing a 1200 mile trip I had No problems with the starter. No need to replace it now. I agree with Mainaeh. Clean all contacts. Some of mine were rusty!

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the good advice. I just pulled out the (Toyota) starter and replaced the contacts. It wasn’t the first time that it had been done (90,000 miles). Starts perfectly. It cost me $1.90 to fix it!  And California prices at that!  

The starters last forever but the solenoid contacts don't it's a shame you can't turn the disk over they would be good for 400K!

• 4 months later...

I’m getting the hesitant start again after about 3000 miles. Today, it just wouldn’t start at all until I put it in neutral and gave it a little push. Then it started right up. I ordered a new solenoid plunger and contacts. I should check all the grounds. Any other thoughts?