Had my vapor canister out  to do some AC and wondered what it was suppose to do?    

Looked it up and tested per page 432 in the FSM.   I have no symptoms or codes, just wondering.

The FSM says free flow of air,   the canister works but it is not a free flow of air takes a lot of effort to get air through.

So looked up new one,  ouch $$$$$$$$

I did some web searching, see where some have rebuilt the canister, but nothing our vintage Toyota specific. 

Anyone rebuilt one of these or have any suggestions or input on what to do with one?

I should add to this that a web search showed that if an unexplained lowering of MPG occurred the vapor canister should be checked. True, false, does it apply to our vintage Toy's I don't know I read it on the web.

Vapor canister has me curious.   I looked at buying one and new ones are expensive, $300.   Used ones online start at $35 plus freight and I am leery of buying a used one online.  None were to be  found locally.

I tested this according to the FSM pg 432 and was experiencing an almost completely plugged condition,  a negligible amount of air was going through canister when checked.  No running problems or codes showing.  Shouldn't this have displayed a code?

So here in SW Florida we are getting record setting amounts of rain, had some time on my hands so played with canister. I banged it around a little and kept trying to get air to flow through it.  Within 30 minutes it was doing what I would call free flowing air as per the manual.

I would like to test the TVV valve, but do not feel like draining coolant.

Anyone had an issue with one of these or got a code the was caused by the canister? 

8 hours ago, DanAatTheCape said:

checking the TVV does not require removing it.

Have you noticed any unusual pressure build up in your gas tanks - when operating in hot climates?

Thanks for the response.  I have noticed a pressure build up but has been there since I bought Toy and did not put any thought into it, assumed it was normal. I'll have to revisit TVV to see about testing.  Have not drove since I cleaned canister so do not know if I still have pressure. 

Even a properly operating fuel system will have pressure/vacuum in it depending on many things

With a screw on cap the fuel tank is sealed it is not unusual for a slight pressure buildup.