1987 toyota dolphin with a 22RE. Will not shift into overdrive. Sprayed WD40 on shift cables did not do anything. Motor overheating

Any suggestions?

Edited by N-Hubb

Also, are your windshield wipers working? They're on the same circuit, if they're not working check the fuse. I'm having problems with mine blowing occasionally.

Most experienced Toy drivers with a 22re engine NEVER use o/d. With out a transmission temp gauge its very easy to overheat and cook the transmission.in O/D.

The 22re O/D set up was for an empty PU running at 70 mph. Not struggling along at 60 with 4000lbs on its back.

I would let it cool all the way down and see what happens.  I would also check your trann fluid - see if it was overheated.   

Are you in the mountains?  Note the posts about OD above 4,000 for 4 cylinders....

If the trann fluid is black or smells burnt,  I would change it ASAP

The Only time I use OverDrive in my 22RE is on long downhill stretches or flat roads! I'm in Ohio so no elevation. When I bought Grannie @ 36K miles I noticed the transmission had been replaced for some reason. Was unsure why until I realized the PO had OverDrive on all the time!

On 8/20/2017 at 9:58 PM, N-Hubb said:

1987 toyota dolphin with a 22RE. Will not shift into overdrive. Sprayed WD40 on shift cables did not do anything. Motor overheating

Any suggestions?

When the light is on the OD is off. No it does not make any sense. Beyond that there is an "O" ring on the solenoid base that goes bad and it also can jam open. Yes there is an attitude feature that locks it out too more to do with the engine loss of power at altitude than the trans.