Smashed Window in Coach

davidtan

Hi guys....some jerk smashed the glass in my window right behind the couch..is that someting a auto glazer would have or do i bring it to an actual window shop? Or do i need to go to surplus shop...

A good glass shop can make you one. It's plain glass that has been cut then tempered. It probably won't be real cheap because of the labor involved alternatively there is always plexiglass.

Just an off-chance, you might measure it and try RV Doctor George's salvage yard up there in Sacto. Would only take a couple of minutes and you might get lucky. George is gone, but the guys there have been very helpful and the prices were reasonable the last time I was there.

Good luck and sorry for your misfortune.

BR,

TG

Pretty much any glass shop can make a flat tempered window. You said shattered. Sharp shards or rounded bits.  If sharp it wasn't a tempered window. regular glass is very cheap. One of our members is getting a new window for her big rear Sunrader. The glass place quoted her 100 bucks for tempered. Not California though so here probably higher

Linda S

Oh yeah, Hmm, Somehow I just assumed it was a removable-slider-window and it might be a common size. Also, I confess,... when I'm in Sac, I just like shopping there for my punch-list. Heck, it's the only place I've ever seen an authentic  SunRader lock assembly, complete and in good condition  for sale. I shoulda bought it, but I completely changed my lockset and couldn't justify it at the time. :)

TG

Opp's!

Or you can shop around and look for a used or surplus window or there are a couple company's that make custom RV windows. You can Google for them.

Edited by jjrbus

Sorry Jim but I have removed windows from a Roadtrek, a Tiger Provan and 2 Sunraders. Oh yeah another Okanagan Van camper too. No windows I have ever seen have the glass locked into the frame like that. smaller windows can be replaced without removing the window. Some sliders need to be removed to get full access but most don't.

Linda S

Well I do see some references to windows that need rivets removed to replace glass but they all seem to be for crank open windows. I have never had to deal with a crank open window on an RV. Do any Toyota motorhomes have those?

14 hours ago, linda s said:

Sorry Jim but I have removed windows from a Roadtrek, a Tiger Provan and 2 Sunraders. Oh yeah another Okanagan Van camper too. No windows I have ever seen have the glass locked into the frame like that. smaller windows can be replaced without removing the window. Some sliders need to be removed to get full access but most don't.

Linda S

Well I do see some references to windows that need rivets removed to replace glass but they all seem to be for crank open windows. I have never had to deal with a crank open window on an RV. Do any Toyota motorhomes have those?

How did you get the glass out of a fixed frame?   The ones I have done needed to be disassembled or did they?

Well I certainly haven't seen every type of window and the closest I've gotten to removing glass is on my Tiger Provan. You could see the window lifting from the frame where the seal had degraded. Could have been removed with a razor blade along the frame. I unfortunately cleaned it out with a tiny brush and put some sealant in the gap and pushed it down, then put glazing bead back in. Going to have to go in there and do it right now cause it still leaks a bit but only when driving in rain. Front overhead window. All the other campers I've worked on look the same. Look at video of resealing glass here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4hyadt95yw

Linda S

43 minutes ago, linda s said:

Well I certainly haven't seen every type of window and the closest I've gotten to removing glass is on my Tiger Provan. You could see the window lifting from the frame where the seal had degraded. Could have been removed with a razor blade along the frame. I unfortunately cleaned it out with a tiny brush and put some sealant in the gap and pushed it down, then put glazing bead back in. Going to have to go in there and do it right now cause it still leaks a bit but only when driving in rain. Front overhead window. All the other campers I've worked on look the same. Look at video of resealing glass here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4hyadt95yw

Linda S

There goes my  "Know it all"  certification :o

3M makes a urethane glue in a calk tube for sealing  windows. Works great, just mask everything cause this stuff is the black death and will get everywhere if you not careful.