chang50012

fit Honda EU2000i Portable Generator in 92 Warrior and run it

That makes since!

On 8/25/2017 at 9:21 AM, markwilliam1 said:

I agree mainaeh. My Honda is mounted on the rear. Running the AC while boondocking the Honda is loud! Has to be running "full smoke!" Noticeable inside Granniy but not too bad. Do you know how loud the kolers or onens were when mounted inside the generator box? I can't imagine sitting in the coach with those gennys running full tilt!

Both were in a box in the side compartment. They had a large ventilation screen intake the air was drawn in and exhausted out the bottom of the RV. The Koler's were loud and not particularly reliable Onan's were a good deal quieter both were 3,600 RPM generators. Inside the coach there was no doubt they were running even if they were quiet you could feel them running inside the coach. Convenience yes, they drew fuel from the truck fuel tank and could be started and stopped from the coach. They also were not vulnerable if you were rear ended.  

On 8/25/2017 at 10:37 AM, Derek up North said:

I don't have either, but all I know is that everyone who does says that they're "LOUD", especially the Kohler. But being that they're generally 2.5kW or 2.8kW, I guess they're not running full bore like a 1.6kW Honda. :)

Regardless they turn 3600 RPM constant but if it's a light load they aren't like they are full tilt. I had no real complaints with my Onan I could sleep with the AC on out in the willy wags. It was 2800 watts and had all the electrical power you could use it had enough guts to run a microwave even when the AC started. 

On 9/9/2017 at 5:47 PM, redskinman said:

So how's this been working out?

Sorry did not update more on this thread. Everything stay the same but I just don't have time to bring the RV out since the enlarge of the generator box. I am planing to get temperature monitor and 12v fan and do more testing and report back. It is more likely next year's project now.

I considered a portable generator solution, but I decided to bite the bullet and fix my Onan 2.8 microlite since it only had 240 hours on it. Just reinstalled it and runs great after new carb, sp plug, oil change, fuel and air filter, voltage regulator, brushes.

It runs my roof 13.5 a/c and microwave easily with no discernible rev change. You can definitely tell that it's on when inside but it's quieter than I thought it would be. The convenience of starting and stopping it from the inside and running off the truck gas tank (of course has to be greater than a quarter tank full ) is nice. But it was a lot more expensive than I thought to get it running well. 

There is a LOT of hot cooling air coming out around the exhaust pipe underneath the RV when running, so a portable unit running in an enclosed box  I imagine might be a problem without significant cooling airflow.

Make it quieter...

Onan PN 155-2449...$35