Fit Honda EU2000i Portable Generator in 92 Warrior and run it

Saw the honda-refit give me the idea to move forward and here is my little project.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?/topic/9948-honda-genset-refit/

Just drove my warrior back from welding shop and my 92 Warrior now could fit the Honda EU2000i which should able to power my Roof AC (9200 BTU)

But welding shop did not enlarge it big enough so I will need to find different way to put additional fuel tank somewhere

Also got the exhaust extension from ebay and welded to the back of the hondaEU2000i. See some Before and After pictures and the exhaust extension.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-EU2000i-EU1000i-Generator-3-4-exhaust-extension-hardware-only-/141866958267

My plan is to redirect the exhaust pipe outside the box so I could run it while driving the Warrior. (Figure crossed, have not tested yet)

Welder run out the steel plate so end up not closed out the box totally. Maybe it good for the air flow while running the generator.:rolleyes:

Any advise and suggestion are welcome.

IMG_32931.jpg

BandA2.jpg

generator 001.jpg

BandA1.jpg

I spent a bunch of time experimenting with a Honda.  When I tried to separate the motor exhaust for the cooling air it ran too hot.  Does not make sense but that is what happened.

The intake for cooling air needs to be separated from the exhaust and warmed cooling air, I do not see where you have done that? If you look above control panel you will see the intake vents.

The Honda case is not just a cover it is designed to direct air where it is needed to cool the unit. I would purchase a remote temperature gauge or a wireless thermometer  to monitor the temp of the Honda case,  I used both. Lots of money wasted if you have it wrong. 

IMG_0904.JPG

aaa.jpg

Jim spent a lot of time on his box and did a wonderful job! Your 2000i should run your AC with no problems. Mine runs my 11K AC perfectly. One thing you need to remember is that little Honda is going to be very loud when running your roof AC. To avoid damaging your Honda you need to have the ECO mode turned off to run the roof AC. So it's operating @ full throttle! Vibrations will be noticeable. Unless your genny compartment has a lot of sound insulation I'd imagine it being very annoying running it while driving being so close to the drivers seat. Have you considered a rear bumper mount? You can always use your compartment for storage now. 

10 hours ago, linda s said:

Needs air to cool. Are you going to vent the door or put a fan in?

Linda S

Linda,

Was thinking about it. But welder left the box not fully closed since he run of the steel plate. There are couple inch open near bottom of the box

If I run generator while driving it should have plenty of air circulation already.

Do you think I still need a fan?

Thanks

20170815_080758.jpg

20170815_080805.jpg

10 hours ago, jjrbus said:

I spent a bunch of time experimenting with a Honda.  When I tried to separate the motor exhaust for the cooling air it ran too hot.  Does not make sense but that is what happened.

The intake for cooling air needs to be separated from the exhaust and warmed cooling air, I do not see where you have done that? If you look above control panel you will see the intake vents.

The Honda case is not just a cover it is designed to direct air where it is needed to cool the unit. I would purchase a remote temperature gauge or a wireless thermometer  to monitor the temp of the Honda case,  I used both. Lots of money wasted if you have it wrong. 

IMG_0904.JPG

aaa.jpg

Jim,

Great advice, That is EXACTLY the reason I post here to get suggestions. I am no expert and still try to learn one thing a time about our Warrior.

for remote temperature gauge or a wireless thermometer, if you don't mind to share which one you are using and where I could get it?

1 hour ago, jjrbus said:

The 9200 btu Polar Cub roof air is an energy hog and draws more amps, 58.4 LRA  than the Coleman power saver 11,000 btu roof air, at 45.6 amps LRA. 

Jim,

My research show it will should able to be run by the Honda EU2000i, right

That is what it come with.

Polar Cub spec.jpg

One of us has the wrong numbers or they have changed the unit, my data is from Coleman. The one highlited in yellow is from 2 years ago, the one circled in red is the one available on the net from Colman now.   http://www.airxcel.com/coleman-mach/products/air-conditioners/ultra-low-profile/mach-8/mach-8-cub

As far as which gauge to use, I used the wireless one I had in the house and then the cheapest wired one I could find on Ebay/Amazon.

As far as the numbers go it is all above my pay-grade. I know my mighty little Honda runs my 8k window unit just fine, Never did find out what the LRA on the window unit is, or if I did I forget?  It will not run my 11k roof air dependably.  

polar cub.PNG

aaa.jpg

I had thought about doing exactly this on my 1990 Itasca (same as Warrior) but did not pursue due to noise and vibration. The geneator fits well in this compament with some room to spare. I also thought of installing temperature shut off device to prevent fire as it will shut off the generator at a preset temperature. I also planned on installing cooling fans as well. Ended with the hitch mount solution and has been OK for the past 3 years.

That's what I do also Nam.  My Honda is mounted on my rear extended bumper. I have plenty of room in my storage compartment for my genny also. I think Chang50012 will be very disappointed about the sound and vibration running the Honda @ full throttle so close to the drivers seat!

It looks like Chang has enough room to install sound proofing material. A bit of an expense but might be  worth it.  

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--noise-control-barrier-material--P006_180_006_004?recordNum=1

Don't buy it from WM,  can be sourced much cheaper.

What about excessive vibrations and exhaust fumes even with an exhaust extension? I understand driving down the road will dispel the exhaust fumes but many times your stuck in traffic and those fumes will get into your cab. You would need a Lot of sound insulation also. I would never even consider it! My 2 cents only through. I wish Chang Good Luck! PS, I think the exhaust extension would also void the Honda warranty. Not endorsed by Honda.

Edited by markwilliam1
more info

4 hours ago, markwilliam1 said:

That's what I do also Nam.  My Honda is mounted on my rear extended bumper. I have plenty of room in my storage compartment for my genny also. I think Chang50012 will be very disappointed about the sound and vibration running the Honda @ full throttle so close to the drivers seat!

With the genset mounted on the back I no longer have a 21' RV which I am not happy about.  If Changs works I may start experimenting with the same design.  Some things do not look right but work well. 

jj I couldn't remember if you mounted your genny on a cargo carrier or not? My bumper extension is 17" making my rig an even 22'.

Edited by markwilliam1
more info

On 8/16/2017 at 4:23 AM, markwilliam1 said:

You are right, I am kind of disappointed about the sound (not sure about vibration yet) when AC kick in and generator sound just go up.

But I just try to give me all the possible options to run generator (on board and away from RV or on the cargo rack). Only time will tell which way I will use the most.

On 8/16/2017 at 8:25 AM, markwilliam1 said:

What about excessive vibrations and exhaust fumes even with an exhaust extension? I understand driving down the road will dispel the exhaust fumes but many times your stuck in traffic and those fumes will get into your cab. You would need a Lot of sound insulation also. I would never even consider it! My 2 cents only through. I wish Chang Good Luck! PS, I think the exhaust extension would also void the Honda warranty. Not endorsed by Honda.

Here is my idea of running it. This is when I run it without the sound insulation. 

It doesnt sound any louder then the built in Kohler that came with my toyhome,except right at the very end when you turned microwave on it started to get real loud but then video cut off

1 hour ago, redskinman said:

It doesnt sound any louder then the built in Kohler that came with my toyhome,except right at the very end when you turned microwave on it started to get real loud but then video cut off

For some reason my S8+ did not pick up the sound too good. Maybe the way I holding it. Sorry about the cut off, Just try to test the microwave and make sure it work and it did with generator.

Yes, as soon as the appliance kick in the Honda get louder initially. It is possible it was on eco mode and the initially huge Watts were needed.

Hey chang I would Not run that little Honda in ECO mode when running high current appliances such as AC, microwave of coffee maker. It make the genny strain way too much on start-up or when the AC compressor kicks in. The Honda need to have  high rpms to run these appliances and if ECO is on it really stains to achieve the higher rpms in such a brief moment. I know it's loud when ECO is turned off but its a $1000 genny and you want it to last! My 2 cents.

Anything other that an RV generator needs careful consideration when mounted it a box the RV units are designed to bring in cool outside air (by comparison) and exhaust it out the bottom of the RV along with the exhaust there are special built just for the RV industry with a downdraft system. Most of the portable generators have a DC (battery charge) output that would be a good tap for a DC fan to keep them cool inside of a box yes it will rob power for the 120 side but it would be better than cooking a $1000 generator. Frankly  if I were going to bumper mount a portable it would not have much more than a roof. When some thing like a Honda is powering an AC it's running full smoke and it's not going to be much quieter that an open frame generator.

I agree mainaeh. My Honda is mounted on the rear. Running the AC while boondocking the Honda is loud! Has to be running "full smoke!" Noticeable inside Granniy but not too bad. Do you know how loud the kolers or onens were when mounted inside the generator box? I can't imagine sitting in the coach with those gennys running full tilt!

1 hour ago, markwilliam1 said:

Do you know how loud the kolers or onens were when mounted inside the generator box?

I don't have either, but all I know is that everyone who does says that they're "LOUD", especially the Kohler. But being that they're generally 2.5kW or 2.8kW, I guess they're not running full bore like a 1.6kW Honda. :)

On 8/25/2017 at 9:21 AM, markwilliam1 said:

I agree mainaeh. My Honda is mounted on the rear. Running the AC while boondocking the Honda is loud! Has to be running "full smoke!" Noticeable inside Granniy but not too bad. Do you know how loud the kolers or onens were when mounted inside the generator box? I can't imagine sitting in the coach with those gennys running full tilt!

Both were in a box in the side compartment. They had a large ventilation screen intake the air was drawn in and exhausted out the bottom of the RV. The Koler's were loud and not particularly reliable Onan's were a good deal quieter both were 3,600 RPM generators. Inside the coach there was no doubt they were running even if they were quiet you could feel them running inside the coach. Convenience yes, they drew fuel from the truck fuel tank and could be started and stopped from the coach. They also were not vulnerable if you were rear ended.  

On 8/25/2017 at 10:37 AM, Derek up North said:

I don't have either, but all I know is that everyone who does says that they're "LOUD", especially the Kohler. But being that they're generally 2.5kW or 2.8kW, I guess they're not running full bore like a 1.6kW Honda. :)

Regardless they turn 3600 RPM constant but if it's a light load they aren't like they are full tilt. I had no real complaints with my Onan I could sleep with the AC on out in the willy wags. It was 2800 watts and had all the electrical power you could use it had enough guts to run a microwave even when the AC started. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2017 at 5:47 PM, redskinman said:

So how's this been working out?

Sorry did not update more on this thread. Everything stay the same but I just don't have time to bring the RV out since the enlarge of the generator box. I am planing to get temperature monitor and 12v fan and do more testing and report back. It is more likely next year's project now.

• 2 months later...

I considered a portable generator solution, but I decided to bite the bullet and fix my Onan 2.8 microlite since it only had 240 hours on it. Just reinstalled it and runs great after new carb, sp plug, oil change, fuel and air filter, voltage regulator, brushes.

It runs my roof 13.5 a/c and microwave easily with no discernible rev change. You can definitely tell that it's on when inside but it's quieter than I thought it would be. The convenience of starting and stopping it from the inside and running off the truck gas tank (of course has to be greater than a quarter tank full ) is nice. But it was a lot more expensive than I thought to get it running well. 

There is a LOT of hot cooling air coming out around the exhaust pipe underneath the RV when running, so a portable unit running in an enclosed box  I imagine might be a problem without significant cooling airflow.

Make it quieter...

Onan PN 155-2449...$35

• 2 years later...
57 minutes ago, kornando said:

I am also looking for same kind of solution,  Honda eu220i in storage compartment.  Earlier I saw post,  where it was  mounted on sliding tray in storage compartment.

I would suggest you read the info in the Honda manual. It is not recommended.