Tiling Shower Pan?

N-Hubb

Has anyone tiled there shower pan? I am tired of looking at the aged yellow look of the pan and was wondering if anyone has a solution? I thought tiling the bottom might look pretty cool. Any suggestions? 

Also the sink in the bathroom is looking pretty yellowed as well, any suggestions on what kind of paint to use on it?

There was some posts on Facebook where people were treating  plastic with something to remove the yellowing, can' remember what it was. Nothing exotic something common.  Will report back if I see it again.

The whitening thing is a hydrogen peroxide based "beauty cream" from sally beauty. salon care 40 volume. you need to be able to enclose the thing in some plastic after applying it AND expose it to the sun for a day. Try not to inhale any vapors.

I dont like home remedies.

Funny. The guy who ripped an RV apart and is rebuilding everything doesn't like home remedies? Your jury rigging almost everything cause you can't replace the mess the factory made. Learning as you go. You are a living breathing home remedy. A good one too. Peroxide does many wonderful things. Kills the algae in my pond without hurting my fish. Kills invasive weeds without poisoning the soil and most importantly prevents me from being a gray haired old lady. The whitening trick is a good one. May not work on all surfaces

Linda S

I've got a very yellow-ish bathroom sink in our rig too. I'm thinking about pulling the faucet and then hitting the whole thing with some fine sandpaper and water, to remove the ugly top layer. Might be worth a try on your shower pan as well. 

1 hour ago, linda s said:

Funny. The guy who ripped an RV apart and is rebuilding everything doesn't like home remedies? Your jury rigging almost everything cause you can't replace the mess the factory made. Learning as you go. You are a living breathing home remedy. A good one too. Peroxide does many wonderful things. Kills the algae in my pond without hurting my fish. Kills invasive weeds without poisoning the soil and most importantly prevents me from being a gray haired old lady. The whitening trick is a good one. May not work on all surfaces

Linda S

Yes, you can buy bedding zip lock bags or a roll of cling wrap from the dollar store, apply the salon care 40 (wear gloves) liberally. wrap or cover it and set it in the sun for a day to get rid of the bromination. Or,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retr0bright

but I still dont like home remedies. I might like camping if I ever get to do it again, but there is no reason I have to like working endlessly in the mess that is the torn camper while the house fills up with parts that come out and parts that have to go in. I have to do it, but I am holding my nose inside the breathing mask. Thats how much I dont like it. I am stubborn, but this sort of rehash shouldnt need to be done by anyone but a professional -- a job, pays bills, not really pleasant.

25 minutes ago, Ctgriffi said:

I've got a very yellow-ish bathroom sink in our rig too. I'm thinking about pulling the faucet and then hitting the whole thing with some fine sandpaper and water, to remove the ugly top layer. Might be worth a try on your shower pan as well. 

Some sinks started out "cream" colored. Then no amount of whitening will do. They knew brominations will darken, so started out yellowy. If its a normal plastic sink, just screwed in then its probably under 20 dollars to replace it. If you can find a matching size.

Yeah y'all are 100% right about a mold issue which would be terrible. What are your thoughts Linda on getting a nice finish on the pan? I mean are these pans cheap and easy to replace? Are they hard to find? I honestly haven't really looked into replacing it just yet (seems like a decent amount of work but who knows) 

Whether new ones are available depends on the measurements. maybe maybe not. Post yours and I'll look around. Not super cheap but small ones usually run at least a 100 bucks. There was a thread here not that long ago where  member refinished his sink and shower pan and they looked fantastic. like new. Pics are gone now but he used this stuff. Sanded them first

One coat of Sikkens ColorBuild 250 Sealer and 2 coats of Utech Single Stage

For a marble effect try YouTube. Lots of different products available and different effects you can do

Linda S