I'm having major difficulty removing those same Phillips lock bolts on the other side now! Been working on those two bolts for 2hrs now and they won't budge. What the heck am I doing wrong?

Edited by Badgerbear

Ok got them two dang screws out finally with a cold chisle, slotted screw driver and impact wrench combo! 

So on this side I see the outer seal is inside the hub and on the other side I found it on the axle, so that's where I installed the new outer seal.  It seems like a better idea to install the new outer seal inside the hub opposed to on the axle.  I have concern that the outer seal I put on the axle may not seat properly.?  Thanks again for your help everyone!

0815170852.jpg

Edited by Badgerbear
Typo

The outer seal goes inside the axle tube, that way you can seat it properly. Don't forget to grease all the seals before you start to put things back.

Also important when you tighten up the bearing lock plate you will see 4 hash marks on the end of the axle tube the Phillips screws need to line up with 2 of those. This puts the pointed end of the screws in the dimples in the bearing retainer plate.

Sounds like you might be in the market for 4 ea modified allen bolts, you can get more torque on then than the stupid soft Japan oem phillips

Edited by WME

Agreed! I like the modified Allen bolts much better than those darn Phillips bolts that gave me such a battle.  I will make sure to line up the bolts with the hash marks, thanks.  I also may be pulling the other side back off to make sure that outer seal set properly since I had it on the axle shaft instead of inside the axle tube and checking the alignment of the hash marks and lock bolts. Much appreciated

The area between the outer and inner bearings and races were completely packed full of grease when i pulled them off.  I just need to pack the bearings with grease right, opposed to packing the whole thing with about a  tube of grease?

Only a half of a tube of grease per side:D The space between the bearings should have a goodly amount of grease. Along with packing the wheel bearings

Edited by WME

Good thing I took the other side back apart, because the outer seal wasn't all the way in since I had it on the axle shaft instead of inside the axle tube.  I packed a bunch of grease in between the bearings and everything is put back together!  Now I need a refresher on bleeding brakes since I changed out the wheel cylinders.  Thanks so much for your help!

2 people, remove old fluid from MC. start with right rear.

MAYBE you can gravity bleed, replace fluid in MC open right rear bleeder and see if fluid will dribble out. if it does hook up a drain hose and let it drip into a jar  until its clear.  Repeat on other brakes. Note this takes a couple of hr per cylinder.

I filled it back up with gear lube,  bled the brakes and took it for a test drive.  Everything seems to be rolling smooth and I think the little shimmy i had above 50mph is gone.  The brakes are more spongy than I would like, but I'm gonna try to bleed them again as soon as I can find a helper.  

Huge thanks to everyone (especially WME) for your help! I had no idea what I was doing and don't know how I would have made it happen with out your help.