Electric Bike Conversion

markwilliam1

I've often wanted a way to get to town for some groceries or site seeing and not moving my camper. Wanted an electric scooter but I'm too tall to drive one and no room to store it. So I decided to convert my old Schwinn mountain bike to an ebike. Works like a charm! It's capable of many miles of run time. You can peddle to extend the distance or just use the electric motor. Allowed on bike trails also! I'm getting older and it makes a long commute pleasurable again. I can use my ladder rack to transport the bike or put it in the camper. Not a cheap conversion but for me totally worth it. Has anybody else done this?

How did you do it? Photos please.

Unfortunately I'm not around my computer WME. Unable to upload pictures on my note pad. Google electric bike conversions. Many types and styles. I choose an American company Clean Republic located in Seattle. I don't trust cheap Chinese lithium batteries and motors.  In my case you simply replace the front rim with a new rim that has an electric motor built into the hub. It's waterproof. Wire up your battery pack, attach the controls, good to go! My system is a 36 volt 350 watt motor and a high quality lithium battery pack made by Panasonic. It also has a variable throttle. Very quiet and cool!

OK checked ebay... Any handling weirdness with FWD on a bike?

Not a fan of the ones on ebay. Chinese junk in my opinion. Inflated volts and wattage. My system was big bucks but I feel quality and performance are important! The only problem I've had with the front wheel drive is going up steep mountain bike trails where the front tire will slip or spin occasionally. Never a problem anywhere else. On roadways and bike trails absolutely perfect! Even good on gravel.

Edited by markwilliam1
more info

Correct again Derek! My Schwinn was bought in 1984, rugged, heavy and made in the USA. You do need a stiff steel fork to handle the torque of the motor. Not recommended for the sleek 10 speed aluminum frames. 

10 speed? Harumph!! They're up to 22 speeds with electronic shifting and hydraulic disc brakes now. At a price, of course!

bici-da-corsa-rb1000-team-edition.jpg

https://www.racycles.com/road/cipollini/cipollini-rb1000-duraace-di2-lighweight-bike-11922?sku=10072366&gclid=CjwKCAjwzrrMBRByEiwArXcw29hPLoYFrc0lF8-a4fM4lOr-2oZt3Cqg1ewHdumFBCAv_GIm1lM-JBoCLgEQAvD_BwE

But if your bike weighed 12lb instead of 42lb, you wouldn't need a motor. As much! :)

15 Grand really? Yep you do need a heavy frame for the front rim conversion. Don't know about a crank motor or rear wheel drive. The simplicity of this system is you don't need to change anything except the front rim. You use the same brakes, shifters and derailleur. Nothing to replace except the rim. The motor is also free spinning. If turned on or off you can pedal normally and coast normally when not using the motor.

Edited by markwilliam1
more info

Hi Mark, would you mind sharing the parts that you purchased for ebike conversion? I thought of doing the same thing with front electric motor hub and battery pack built from 18650 lithium batteries

Hey Nam, I bought my kit from Clean Republic in Seattle. They have many models to choose from. They supply the front rim with the motor in the hub. I don't think they sell the rim separately. The battery pack is the expensive part. Different ranges and power. I choose the system with a throttle. I'm sure you could probably build a battery pack somehow. They weigh in between 6 & 8 lbs. That's a lot of 18650 batteries! Good Luck!

Thats the company I bought my conversion kit from Linda! I had an excellent bike to start with. Just needed the motor and battery. Trying to talk Joe into it. He's seen my e- bike. So Very Cool! 

I'm able to get my bike into Grannie with no problem. If the camper is too loaded I take off the front wheel and hang it on my ladder rack. You are correct Linda, very expensive! I indulged myself on this one. I ride it almost daily now. Before I road only a few times a month. 

Was thinking about 50 cc gas one and the electric bike, end up with 1000W electric scoot. Happy about it and just less than $500.00

Heavier than I wanted but powerful enough to climb some hills and last on longer distance.

Could be folded up and store inside RV while traveling to.

Scooter1.jpg

Mo-peds

Hey chang nice little scooter! I'm too tall for something like that. I still like to ride a bike and peddle to get some exercise. Around here they sell complete e-bikes starting around $2000. That's why I choose the conversion kit. I think in the near future there will be many e-bikes around if they can ever lower the price of lithium batteries!