Smell of LP Gas when I open the exterior hatch

RoadWorrier

Just got my first rig, a 1990 Toyota Itasca Warrior w/ only 40 k.  Am still getting familiar with her and haven't been out yet.

When I opened the outside LPG access cover I got a whiff of "garlic".  Then I took off the filler cover cap and it made a "pfffftt" sound and I got a BIG whiff of LPG.  The tank is about 3/8 full (per the gauge).  And I shut off the valve which I guess the prior owner had left turned on.

(1) Is LPG lighter than air at sea level?  There's no bottom under the tank and I'm surprised any gas would hang around on a windy day like this ...  

(2) I had the RV checked over by an RV shop before I bought it and they didn't report an LPG problem.  Could such a problem just materialize out of nowhere when the RV is parked and not in use at all?

(3) Should the valve be left in the "off" position when not in use? Is it prone to leaking? If gas is escaping from the fill valve, closing the supply to coach valve won't help ... right?

Thanks Gang!!

A few tips. On-off valve has to be all the way on or all the way off to seal. Anything in between can let some propane leak. Best way to check for leaks is kids bubble stuff in a spray bottle. Anywhere you spray and it bubbles up you have a problem. Make sure you spray the regulator. That is the most common place to develop a leak. They are not difficult to replace. Let us know what you find and maybe we can figure out whats going on

Linda S

Thanks Linda!!

I'll check it all out tomorrow.  I _think_ the valve may NOT have been all the way open from the way it felt when I shut it off -- so you may have nailed the problem for me!! (operator error - prior owner). 

Also, I was looking around and found the statement that "gaseous LPG is HEAVIER than air" and should therefore sink to the ground, not get trapped up in the access space.

Is it common for some gas to build up behind the fill valve cover?

apologies for the tangent but does anyone know where to get a regulator cover for the propane regulator the toyotas have. you know the square brittle plastic one that screws into the tank enclosure? I can only find the new round style ones that seem too small to fit.

I would say it is NOT common to have gas build up/ Yes propane should sink - that is why propane detectors are placed low in the cabin. I added one to my toy.  

The valve on my tank seems reverse orientated to me.  Turning it clockwise closes it & CCW opens.  And yes - mine will give off odor if not turned all the way in both directions.

You may also find that after using it a while it will behave better.  I also recommend the bubble test - if you can smell it then something is probably up.  Taking off the plastic cap off the fill fitting should not release fumes.  

I leave my tank closed when not in use and I also close it whenever I have it filled.  From what you described, I guess the fill valve was stuck slightly open.  That might fix itself when filled next time.

Mine 1990 Itasca Spirit was leaking propane at the gauge. I got good testing results with dish washer soap mixed with water in a spray bottle. If you closes the valve and there is no leaking sound or smell then it''s not at the gauge.