Toyota New World RV - need any info available?

So I bought a Toyota New World RV for $2800, has been repainted, but can see New World through the back stripe and on some controls inside.  Decent shape. 

But I cannot find any repair manual books or hardly anything else on this model.  

Any and all info on this RV is very much appreciated. 

Thanks, looking forward to learning from you all!

Matt

20170807_103303.jpg

These RV's are all built from "off the rack parts."  It does not matter the name on the side of the coach.  Let us know the model and make of each appliance and someone probably has the owners manual.  The truck itself is probably a 1985 Toyota hopefully with a replaced rear axle.  When you order parts, just give them the VIN and the parts shop should be able to match your parts.  Check the drivers door opening for the manufacture date of the vehicle.

My 1988 Escaper is built on a 1987 Toyota one ton frame with factory dual wheels.  

The best, all-in-one-place, selection of appliance manuals I've found is here:-

http://bryantrv.com/owners.html

http://bryantrv.com/docs.html

It'll be hard to find your RV Owners Manual. They're all pretty vague anyway and one for another make will probably tell you nearly as much (or even more)! Here are a couple for you to look at.

92_-_Spirit-Manual.pdf

1985_Dolphin_Manual.pdf

1993_Dolphin_Owners_Manual.pdf

Thanks for the responses and links, the title says 1986, the pdfs are close but not the same layout. Does anyone know why they didn't make them very long, what manual I should use for the engine (it's a 22RE), and about how many are out there. (Rare?)

1st step today is emptying out the previous owners trash and bug bomb to get rid of the ants inside! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not at the RV at the moment, so I will check if it is the 6 lug ff axle, also something is wrong with the electrical, where is the box that converts the 30am to 110? My friend who's an electrician says there's power in the main outside plug but none of the inside outlets, lights or AC work :(

It's plugged in right. There's 110 in your house and that goes right to 110 inside. There's a power center somewhere probably close to where the 110 cord goes into the camper but on inside. Go look for it. Should have fuses for 12 volt and circuit breakers for 110.  Maybe they are turned off. You could also have a bad plug in cord or bad ground. Lots of possibilities. Your electrician friend should know how to test for this stuff.

Linda S

I do think your rear axle is the 6 lug. Looks like the classic 1986 with 6 hand holes. Warning. Driver side rear lug nuts are left hand thread. Never let anyone change a tire for you unless you make that very clear to them. I usually kind of breathe down their necks to make sure they believe me. Turned the wrong way lug bolts break and they are a pain to find to replace

10 hours ago, linda s said:

It's plugged in right. There's 110 in your house and that goes right to 110 inside. There's a power center somewhere probably close to where the 110 cord goes into the camper but on inside. Go look for it. Should have fuses for 12 volt and circuit breakers for 110.  Maybe they are turned off. You could also have a bad plug in cord or bad ground. Lots of possibilities. Your electrician friend should know how to test for this stuff.

Linda S

I do think your rear axle is the 6 lug. Looks like the classic 1986 with 6 hand holes. Warning. Driver side rear lug nuts are left hand thread. Never let anyone change a tire for you unless you make that very clear to them. I usually kind of breathe down their necks to make sure they believe me. Turned the wrong way lug bolts break and they are a pain to find to replace

We went inside, looked where the wire came in under where one of the back seats are, followed it through under some cabinets, etc, but before we go tearing out walls I was going to try and see if anyone on this forum may know where it is to save a lot of searching, we got stuck after awhile and he asked me to try and maybe find a layout to help us find that box (and hopefully just a blown fuse!)

What happened was my fault, I used too long and too thin of an extension cord and the cord melted to adapter but I caught it (hopefully ) quick enough to have averted any bad damage... 

It shouldn't be necessary to tear out walls to find your 'converter'. The 'business end' of it should be accessible from inside. Usually down at floor level. Post a bunch of interior shots. I'm sure we can spot it for you.

Though it's not 'rocket science', I m guessing your electrician has no RV knowledge/experience.

5 hours ago, Derek up North said:

Though not New World, I'm guessing that the wiring philosophy isn't much different from a Dolphin. Here are Dolphin wiring diagrams. They might point your electrician in the right direction.

93 Dolphin - 12v Wiring.jpg

93 Dolphin - 110v House Wiring.jpg

93 Dolphin - Clearance Light Wiring.jpg

93 Dolphin - Monitor Wiring.jpg

I'm sending my friend these diagrams and will take some inside pics, thanks so much for your advice!

For the period, the fuse box looked like this. Also, generally you found it near the house battery. And there was always a panel you could unlatch or pull to get to it. Have you looked at all things that look like a panel that can come off? The fuse box cover was covered in the same fabric as the house, it wont appear as an electrical box right away. Look at floor level, left and right. Sides of the dinette, the bed, and so on.

20170821_082436.jpg

1 hour ago, neubie said:

For the period, the fuse box looked like this. Also, generally you found it near the house battery. And there was always a panel you could unlatch or pull to get to it. Have you looked at all things that look like a panel that can come off? The fuse box cover was covered in the same fabric as the house, it wont appear as an electrical box right away. Look at floor level, left and right. Sides of the dinette, the bed, and so on.

20170821_082436.jpg

I'm back at work now, but I took a few pics of the inside, I'll go back tonight to look for latches.

20170821_154235.jpg

20170821_154243.jpg

20170821_154249.jpg

20170821_154319.jpg

20170821_154329.jpg

20170821_154345.jpg

Nope we need inside, inside. Around lower floor not inside cabinets. Should have access from inside cabin to change fuses. By the way Neubie's fuse box is the exception. More likely an integral parts of a power center that looks more like this

Linda S

Image result for RV power center in toyota motorhome

heck who ever owned it may have taken it out  .and just be using 12v  battery to run the 12 volt supply. the way it looks it has a mobile home water heater in it. and he may be using the shore power just for the water heater

3 hours ago, linda s said:

Nope we need inside, inside. Around lower floor not inside cabinets. Should have access from inside cabin to change fuses. By the way Neubie's fuse box is the exception. More likely an integral parts of a power center that looks more like this

Linda S

Image result for RV power center in toyota motorhome

To be fair to mr. car, it was some sort of power center. Not much of one, and totally hackish wiring,, but I just showed breakers. Here is the rest before I took it out. The space under the bed was wasted with half of the generator box, the rear dually tire cover, and the convertor/charger.

The fuses and breakers were accessible without disturbing anything.

In OPs case, it does look like there is a lot of custom wiring. If there is an AC, then there must also be A/C wiring. Taking just the circuit breakers out doesnt sound smart either.

So its a matter of poking in the openings in the coach to find the power center.

20170821_174554.jpg

So the convertor charger doesnt show anywhere. Usually, the convertor charger is close to the fuse box, and they were large enough that they cant just be hidden. One of the convertor charger connection needs to be coeach/house battery. The battery space is empty (who knows if its been moved too!), may be someone did some serious reconstruction. 

110V AC wires are only in the wall in a couple places. Most of it runs outside the walls, in the cabinets, under the sink and so on. Get a 110V non contact testing pen and follow your wires if you cant find the convertor/charger or breakers.

There is always a possibility that these parts are all gone and like my fridge wiring there is just a cut off AC line exposing 110v for anyone to electrocute themselves. You may have wires no longer connected.

There is every chance that this home lost its fuses/power convertor at some point. It should be in your posted pictures and it isnt. 

Check the 30amp plug, you may need to replace the plug and/or shoreline cable if your extension cord incident cause a problem there. The rest of the wiring seems to be totally straightforward. Also, the toilet 110V always had a ground fault protection. Did that trip? Do you have it? The circumstances noted would suggest it tripped too.

20170821_222904.jpg

I suspect the box (the one with the holes in the top) near the breakers is an early switching converter/charger replacement. The GE fuse panel I believe is a 60 amp box they were designed as a 240 volt panel. If it has been replaced it is possible they never jumpered the two poles meaning one of the breakers will not work. The 20 amp is usually for the AC the 15 for every thing else. The hot water heater replacement is 120 volt heater you need to find out what the element's wattage rating is it could be 2000 watt 15 amp is 1800 watts it appears to be plugged into an outlet. Some early switching converters would not work without a battery most newer ones would. It also probably has two 30 amp fuses for the 12 volt side. There is no doubt all of that stuff has been tinkered so be careful playing with that thing while plugged in.

2 hours ago, Maineah said:

I suspect the box (the one with the holes in the top) near the breakers is an early switching converter/charger replacement. The GE fuse panel I believe is a 60 amp box they were designed as a 240 volt panel. If it has been replaced it is possible they never jumpered the two poles meaning one of the breakers will not work. The 20 amp is usually for the AC the 15 for every thing else. The hot water heater replacement is 120 volt heater you need to find out what the element's wattage rating is it could be 2000 watt 15 amp is 1800 watts it appears to be plugged into an outlet. Some early switching converters would not work without a battery most newer ones would. It also probably has two 30 amp fuses for the 12 volt side. There is no doubt all of that stuff has been tinkered so be careful playing with that thing while plugged in.

Maineah,

Yes, thats the convertor/charger. I posted the picture just to show the organization and what to look for. The GE fuse panel only had the two fuses, no main fuse.

Original poster's pictures do not show either of these elements: the fuse box or the charger convertor.

It's starting to look like the OP is going to have to buy and install a new power center:-

http://www.progressivedyn.com/all_in_one_pd4500_1.html

Not a bad thing!

Most or all the wires needed are probably (hopefully?) still there, running to the lights, appliances and plugs. Just needs someone with some knowledge and a multimeter to get them hooked up again. It's not exactly a Space Shuttle! :)

I found the breaker box, it was right above the door, behind the pump switch, 2 breaker switches were in off position,  I flipped them back on and all outlets and AC works now!

20170823_152408.jpg

5 hours ago, NewWorldWanderer said:

I found the breaker box, it was right above the door, behind the pump switch, 2 breaker switches were in off position,  I flipped them back on and all outlets and AC works now!

20170823_152408.jpg

I was going to tell you that just now. There is somebody on the facebook toyota motorhome club who has this rv and is willing to communicate and offered this location. You may want to look up his pictures and connect there.

On Wednesday, August 23, 2017 at 10:34 PM, neubie said:

I was going to tell you that just now. There is somebody on the facebook toyota motorhome club who has this rv and is willing to communicate and offered this location. You may want to look up his pictures and connect there.

Thank you, what is his/her username?

Also, the carpet is torn out now, asking some friends if they have any leftover laminate flooring and going to sand, primer and paint the wall paneling, maybe just stain the doors and drawers.

Going to put a swivel TV mount up next to the upper bed above the passenger seat, and then start checking out under the hood. (Drove it home, drives well so far!) This is my new home, big upgrade from living in a semi converted Chevy G30 bus! Not bad for $2800 + a few hundred for home improvement :)

20170827_124230.jpg

20170827_130026.jpg

20170827_130032.jpg

20170824_144844.jpg

20170824_140356.jpg