Generator options

neubie

Couple years back there was a Power Tools generator with a Yamaha engine. Know of a couple people who bought them and loved them. These generators have the added advantage of the crazy good Costco warranty. Sounds like a good buy to me

Linda S

3 hours ago, neubie said:

They 1st one will make you enemies at the campsites. Far better off with the 2nd. :)

Neither is quiet. They are both off by 10+ db compared to the Honda. The cheaper option may be an emergency option for use on the road without the guilt of a real investment when discarding/donating it but it wont even operate a microwave reliably. The yamaha one has a lot of positives, just no real reviews from anyone yet on whether it stands up to brochure specs.

With out knowing the details of the db rating, it falls in to the realm of figures don't lie, but lairs can figure. You need to know distance, surface its on  and load to make an apples to apples comparison.

2 hours ago, WME said:

With out knowing the details of the db rating, it falls in to the realm of figures don't lie, but lairs can figure. You need to know distance, surface its on  and load to make an apples to apples comparison.

Yes, they quote a 53db number at 7 meters on 25% load which is quite interesting if its borne out to be true by someone's personal experience. 50 is quite tolerable and can be even better managed with a custom generator box, 65 not so much. Wonder if someone here has one of these.

I've always thought that a 10dB increase doubles the sound or makes this genny twice as loud as the Honda 2000i. 

1 hour ago, markwilliam1 said:

I've always thought that a 10dB increase doubles the sound or makes this genny twice as loud as the Honda 2000i. 

To double the sound pressure would be a factor  of 6 dB double the power, (sound intensity level) would be 3 dB The people that sell these things love to quote numbers because they look good on paper with out a lot of variables taken into consideration. If you want quiet you have to pay for it that is where the quality comes in. Because an inverter generator does not rely on engine speed to to make 60 HZ, inherently they are quieter so the manufactures love to quote noise figures at low power demand because the engines are turning much slower but once they are up to full smoke they all are pretty noisy even the Hondas the quality comes in mechanically (moving parts), mufflers and sound deadening. A normal generator must to turn 3600 RPM even at low demand to make 60 HZ so you can see why the inverters are much quieter.

Just the weight at 38 lbs is a red flag. Also generators can never be returned to Amazon. If there is no factory to take care of your problems your out of luck. Just noticed can't be shipped to my location. Not carb compliant

Linda S

31 minutes ago, linda s said:

Just the weight at 38 lbs is a red flag. Also generators can never be returned to Amazon. If there is no factory to take care of your problems your out of luck. Just noticed can't be shipped to my location. Not carb compliant

Linda S

Yep,its 49 state option right now