Transmission stuck in second gear - 1990 Toyota Winnie

I have the opportunity of getting a 1990 Winnebago Warrior (Toyota) for a decent price.  The present owner said the transmission appears to be stuck in second gear.  Does this sound like a shift solenoid problem and if so, how expensive is this repair.  On American made cars, I've replaced many vacuum solenoids - super easy and cheap.  But this may be a horse of a different color?

If I had your camper, I would disconnect the battery (reset ecu - I think tran has ecu function).  I would make sure that the tran fluid is at proper level. Low fluid can interfere with shifting (I think).

Do not know if these trans have vacuum lines/ vacuum modulators, but if they do I would check that out too.

BTW< is the OD light blinking when you check for codes?

Have you tried shifting it manually? (gear lever in low to start) Is the fluid red or brown? How many miles? That trans still has a governor that is mechanical if it's hung up no amount of electronics will overcome that. With high miles and lack of maintenance it is also possible the bore that the governor runs in is damaged (that can be repaired but it constitutes an overhaul). If the price is right overhaul the trans and drive on.