Sorry for the lack of clarity,...  Yes, the weight was the thing, EPDM as indicated by WME, it's amazing how more weight can seem to creep into these tasks as the total completion comes into sight. I had forgotten your past experience with the VeeDub, so I now realize you have a more evolved horsepower-to-weight ratio consciousness.  I concur with the plywood weight distribution idea, especially at your weight class.... if you do get a rig with a flat roof.   Again I was coming from a skewed SunRader perspective, and those roofs are curved. I do lean on my top, or sometimes lay over it when I,m on a ladder and I reaching to do caulking etc.and, like WME,  I went the route of making up simple scaffolding  that has served me many times since. I am 5' 9" though and results do vary. When all else fails,sometimes, I just get help.:)

TG

Edited by ToyoGuy
sp

This particular product was great. You know when it's completely dry because there won't be any blue tint to the paint. Took 1 to 2 days to dry between coats due to humidity. If I remember correctly they recommend 2 coats but since I was all prepared to paint I applied 4. The first thing I noticed was how much cooler it was in Grannie. The new paint really reflects the sun. Also when it rains it's much quieter than when the rain hit the   metal roof. I know a remote is over kill. Being so tall I can sit on the couch and almost reach the fan lol! It opens and closes on its own. I bought the the fan from a RV dealer on ebay for $170.00 free shipping and No tax. The same fan was $335.00 @ Camping World!

BTW you ought to see ToyoGuy's rig. It's stunning! He's quite the craftsman!

I have seen it and yes he has done amazing work on an already amazing camper. I for one have never worried about being on my Sunrader roof. Been up there plenty of times changing out roof vents and scrubbing with barkeepers friend. Sometimes just used to go up there and sit. Peaceful up there. At one time I weighed substantially more than Toyoguy too. At my current 130 my Sunrader wouldn't even know I was there. I so love my baby

Linda S

11 minutes ago, linda s said:

I have seen it and yes he has done amazing work on an already amazing camper. I for one have never worried about being on my Sunrader roof. Been up there plenty of times changing out roof vents and scrubbing with barkeepers friend. Sometimes just used to go up there and sit. Peaceful up there. At one time I weighed substantially more than Toyoguy too. At my current 130 my Sunrader wouldn't even know I was there. I so love my baby

Linda S

Someone nearby has a large rear window shorty or even a shorty mounted on a more modern 4x4. I drive by it often to go shopping and such. Thats what set me off on this "conquest" -- what is that and how can I get one? Of course, what I ended up with is a matter for another day.

Which brings us to roofs. There were no fastners in the old roof, but there were thin strips of aluminium glued below the rigid insulation.  I am thinking there is a nice metal frame, why not some fastners of some kind around it. So, the question is, why not?

Is it on a 4x4 Chevy? I've seen that one.

Fasteners I see no reason not to use them. We've heard too many stories about the long term durability of the staples and glue the RV industry is known for. It's all about sealing after. In that case a rubber roof would be an excellent product to get a one piece roof to cover all the work underneath and seal it completely.

Linda S

rubber roofs will out last any brush on rubber roof coating .and are not as heavy as people think there.  .good rv rubber roofing comes in all different thinkness.. and doesn't cost that much if you know were to get it. I just done a 35 foot 5th wheel  with the rubber and glue  and sealant .was little over 400.i did my sunland express for around 200. the salty part is if a rv service center the job . a 20 foot mini would run about 5 grand. I make good money doing rubber roof for people

Thanks for the compliments Linda and MW1, I couldn't have done the job I did without the kind folks on this forum. Heck, I just noticed on my profile today it's been 10 years I've been a member...........  Kinda makes me a little teary.   :clown2: D'oh !:pinch:    On the other thing, guess  I should consider  loosing weight and start meditating on my roof, maybe then I could end up knowing half of what Linda knows about these things. On the other-other thing, sometimes I think we oughta rename that stuff "RV Wheeler's Friend". It sure works well.

BR, TG

Edited by ToyoGuy

Linda,

Its white, and always parked facing away so I dont know the make of the truck. Same street has another strange rv, three houses down, a srt of small tall bus.

I have learned *so much* in the past 24 hours!  What a lovely group of knowledgeable & generous human beings. 

Each & every one of you have so much to share.  I am truly amazed.  And I am beginning to get to know some of you,

which makes it fun. 

*Thanks to all*  for the roofing info. 

Scarlett

as far as the cleaning and protecting the rubber roofs, the guys at the rv shop that installed my new roof last year, instructed me how to keep it in new, tip top condition they recommended a twice a year cleaning with a product called "BIO KLEEN", it is a cleaner and UV protectant in one, on line research revealed, it is made in Michigan, the company has a wide range of RV products. the msrp is $34.99 per gallon (one gallon is enough for two cleanings on my rig). I found the bio kleen rubber roof product at a closeout store for $12.99 a gallon, the store only had two, I bought both. joe from dover.

I'm new to this site, so I hope I'm posting in the correct place.  I've been looking for an Oddessy Americana, can anyone verify for me that it has a rubber roof.  If it does, is it difficult to replace the roof, and is this something that an RV repair place can do the correct way?  I have heard of people using a cold seal paint on product on an Americana roof, but should that be used on a roof that's rubber?  Just want to know how to get the job done right, or I'll start looking for an RV which is made with an aluminum roof.  Thanks...

I am no expert on roofs, I can relate what I was told by the rv shop that replaced my roof ( originally aluminum) on my 92 Winnie. the shop replaced my roof with rubber. the shop owner told me that the rubber roof material is the industry standard now. back in the day the rubber material was not used. to my understanding, you need not coat a rubber roof unless you have a cut or hole in the membrane.  proper cleaning and using a cleaner with a uv protectant should be sufficient.  with older aluminum roofs, you are subject to developing cracks and pin holes in the aluminum as it ages, therefore requiring a coating being applied.  joe from dover.

8 hours ago, hunkaman said:

I am no expert on roofs, I can relate what I was told by the rv shop that replaced my roof ( originally aluminum) on my 92 Winnie. the shop replaced my roof with rubber. the shop owner told me that the rubber roof material is the industry standard now. back in the day the rubber material was not used. to my understanding, you need not coat a rubber roof unless you have a cut or hole in the membrane.  proper cleaning and using a cleaner with a uv protectant should be sufficient.  with older aluminum roofs, you are subject to developing cracks and pin holes in the aluminum as it ages, therefore requiring a coating being applied.  joe from dover.

Thanks,  this is great info., so the rubber roof on a class C is a good idea, I wonder if they are more difficult to replace than an aluminum one.  Any idea how I can get an idea of cost? Thanks again-

FWIW my local full service rv center says for a rubber roof install they charge $100 per linear ft., parts and labor. Thats over a good base, roof repairs are extra

Not rocket science. I would do it myself. Lots of step by step instructions online and you can buy everything you need for it from Amazon or other online RV parts places. Amazon is probably cheaper

Linda S