Rubber Roofs

What's up with rubber roofs? 

Occasionally I find CL rigs with them but not sure if I am clear on the concept. 

Is a "rubber roof" simply a rubber coating applied over whatever type roof surface needs resealing?   Or must this rubber coating always be applied over an already existing rubber coating?  Or is a rubber coating an option one may choose to reseal/coat any existing roof coating? 

What are the pros/cons of rubber roofs?  Or is this an outmoded material?  If rubber  *is*  a suitable option, how does it hold up compared to other roof surfaces?  Is it cost effective?  Is this "rubber" actual organic rubber?

Especially interested to hear from those who have/had a rubber roof & can speak from personal experience.  I'm in the dark here.  All these questions keep bouncing off my brain!

Thanks,  Scarlett

Step 1 put on your brainiac cap,  Step 2 read/watch

Where to buy and $$$     http://www.ebay.com/itm/20ft-Superflex-Alpha-Systems-RV-Camper-9-5-Wide-Rubber-Roof-Kit-/282236275391?epid=2025397119&hash=item41b697cabf:g:elMAAOSwImRYE3gM&vxp=mtr

How to install..

The big deal is if its done right the EPDM is a single piece with no seams

Edited by WME

Wow!  So that's DICOR.  Clearly not an "outmoded" system.  

I can do that job, & am capable of doing it right.  I figure it is more than likely any Toy I bring home is 'gonna want a new roof & probably re-sealed windows immediately.   Not cheap but well worth it.  Hope it won't be the rainy season...

Video was spot on.  And thanks for including the $ cost link.  The bad thing about cost is that I will probably have to order 30 feet even tho only likely to require 21 feet +/-.   Is having an extra length of that stuff on hand useful at any point?  The roof will be the very first thing I will want to do. 

Much appreciated WME,  thanks!

Scarlett

Remember a 21 ft class C RV only has about 17' of roof.

3 minutes ago, WME said:

Remember a 21 ft class C RV only has about 17' of roof.

What *good* news.  So rare in matters of money.  BTW, Does Dicor ever go on sale in any season? 

Do I presume correctly that your current RV is roofed with Dicor?  If so, did you do the job yourself.  Thirty feet, that would be a big job.  You'd need a second pair of hands for that job, I bet.  More than likely, I will end up doing the job without a helper--but I've gotten pretty good at figuring out how to do things myself without the recommended second pair of hands...

My rig has a one piece molded fiberglass roof. So its sorta like the worlds largest Sunrader.

There is also a "paint on" version of the EPDM roof. Some one here did a long post about doing the paint version. Maybe "blue eyed barbarian"

Toyota motorhomes with rubber roofs are rare. The Odyssey Americana is the only one I can think of. You only put new rubber sheets up to replace old rubber sheets. If a rig didn't come with them it's not so useful. Also any AC unit would have to be removed, about 100 lbs,  and all roof vents and then reinstalled.

Linda S

my 92 warrior had a new rv dealer installed roof last year. the original was the aluminum sheet. the rv shop used rubber to cover the new roof structure. definitely an upgrade. the old metal had the pin holes and started to leak. was lucky, caught it before any water damage to the coach occurred. joe from dover

7 hours ago, linda s said:

Toyota motorhomes with rubber roofs are rare. The Odyssey Americana is the only one I can think of. You only put new rubber sheets up to replace old rubber sheets. If a rig didn't come with them it's not so useful. Also any AC unit would have to be removed, about 100 lbs,  and all roof vents and then reinstalled.

Linda S

So, unless roof sheathing is water damaged & needs replacing, it wouldn't make sense to go for rubber sheeting.  And removing a heavy AC unit myself would be tough without help.  Once I've got a Toy in the driveway & have assessed the roof, I will query again about roof sealing options.  (Those rubber roofs look great tho, but I hope to not have need to re-sheathe.)

Thanks Linda.

1 hour ago, hunkaman said:

my 92 warrior had a new rv dealer installed roof last year. the original was the aluminum sheet. the rv shop used rubber to cover the new roof structure. definitely an upgrade. the old metal had the pin holes and started to leak. was lucky, caught it before any water damage to the coach occurred. joe from dover

Pin holes!  Until a few days ago, I never knew of the existence of pin holes.  With RVs it's *always something*.                                            Thanks, Joe

The usual practice is to paint the roof with a cool seal type product. Available at any hardware store, inexpensive and lasts for quite a long time. Rubber roofs need to be resealed from time to time too but the products for that are very expensive.

Linda S

18 minutes ago, linda s said:

The usual practice is to paint the roof with a cool seal type product. Available at any hardware store, inexpensive and lasts for quite a long time. Rubber roofs need to be resealed from time to time too but the products for that are very expensive.

Linda S

Thanks!   Good to know.  Now, what do you mean by "lasts for quite a long time"?  Obviously, mileage may vary.  Just rough ball park.  Also, what are the signs a roof coating needs redone?  And what about pinholes? 

My last rv had an EPDM rubber roof. It had no leaks @ 12 years old. As preventive maintenance I sealed it with the proper coating. $118.00 for 5 gal, 10 year warranty. The coating was 6 years old when I sold the RV and was still not leaking and there was no separation of the coating and EPDM roof.

Hey there SOH,

I applaud your careful research and wish I myself had asked more questions before I took the plunge. It would have saved me a lot of $ and grief. This might be a good time to decide whether you are including a roof that you expect to walk on, as an item on your list of requirements for your RV. I have an 18' SunRader and, at 160 lbs,  I have been able to successfully navigate any maintenance or repair tasks (including scraping off large amounts of every imaginable goop and sealer from the roof around the vents and removing an A/C unit), without needing to try to walk on the roof. I understand the sirens-call of this particular temptation, but would never do this on my rig, even though I installed reinforcements and re-arched the ceiling during the restoration. Personally, I would add the statement "of course you can walk on the roof of this C class RV!" to the list of reassurances: "the check's in the mail", "I'll respect you in the morning" and "I'm from your government and I'm here to help you".:)

That said, I realize that we all have different needs and loading skills, but personally,  I just don't think the risk of stressing all that reinforcement and cabinet work is worth it. Also, and related to this, though not many seem inclined to the EPDM solution, I found it useful during my searches for even the smallest solutions to any fixes or modifications, to relentlessly ask myself, "how much does it weigh?". I was then new to the principle that every time I drive my RV, I am paying again to haul all my solutions around with me.

Just some thoughts, they were helpful for me.

BR, TG

Hey Scarlett, my roof was the original unpainted aluminum roof 31 yrs old. No pinholes or leaks of any kind. I re-did the entire roof last year. I choose a paint product called Snow Seal. Made by Sherwin Williams. It goes on blue and dries to a brilliant white. It was the best metal roof paint I could find. Expensive but has a 16 year warranty! 

37 minutes ago, ToyoGuy said:

...This might be a good time to decide whether you are including a roof that you expect to walk on, as an item on your list of requirements for your RV.

That said, ...I just don't think the risk of stressing all that reinforcement and cabinet work is worth it. Also, and related to this, though not many seem inclined to the EPDM solution, I found it useful during my searches for even the smallest solutions to any fixes or modifications, to relentlessly ask myself, "how much does it weigh?".

The plot thickens.  Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

As to matter of "walking on roof"-----I hadn't yet given this thought.  I would  *prefer* not to, based on common sense & your feedback.  I am well accustomed to traveling light, having done extended travel in my Westfalia.   Tho I am stepping up to a Toy rig, I intend keeping content/weight to a minimum.  (I am likely to replace bathroom door with a curtain, for example.)

As to the roof:  my plan is for a roof with one or two Maxx fans as well as 2-400 watts of solar panels, the least I can manage with & still have the solar power required for extended boondocking.  Can installation of vents, for example, be successfully done from a step ladder without stepping on roof top?  And later, is it possible to replace vent covers or re-caulk from a ladder.  I can see that washing solar panels would be easy from a ladder.  I do not intend to use top of rig as storage rack.

Not sure what you are getting at with regard to roof coating.  Are you saying rubber sheeting is weighty?  Please clarify.

Cheers, Scarlett

I am trying to get to the vents, so I can take them off. The toyota setups are 80 inches wide. Some dolphins have one vent that is close to the side, but the others are all centered. Vents are 14inches, so, 7 to each side. Thats 30+inches of reach from a step ladder. Two and a half feet to remove dozens of screws. I suppose you can lean on the wall and then get to it if you are tall. My stand alone ladder adds a couple more inches of distance and takes away the option of leaning on. No go without getting up on it. I might have to get somebody else to do it.

1 hour ago, markwilliam1 said:

...I re-did the entire roof last year. I choose a paint product called Snow Seal. Made by Sherwin Williams. It goes on blue and dries to a brilliant white. It was the best metal roof paint I could find. Expensive but has a 16 year warranty! 

Thanks, Mark.  That's quite a warranty?  How many coats are applied?  Does it dry fast?

Depending on what model of Toy you buy ( it seems brand x is made better than brand y) you shouldn't have any problem walking on your roof. I spent days walking around on my roof. I am185 lbs. Some suggest placing some plywood down to help distribute the weight. BTW I highly recommend the MaxxAir deluxe. It's wonderful!

Edited by markwilliam1
more info

I put down 4 coats. Bought a 5 gallon bucket and have enough to apply 2 more coats later on. It can take some time to dry especially if it's humid out. Has to be applied very thick. Seems like a great warranty but I don't know what it really covers LOL! Also watch out for rain. That would ruin everything!

7 minutes ago, neubie said:

The toyota setups are 80 inches wide. Some dolphins have one vent that is close to the side, but the others are all centered. Vents are 14inches, so, 7 to each side. Thats 30+inches of reach from a step ladder. Two and a half feet to remove dozens of screws. I suppose you can lean on the wall and then get to it if you are tall.

Yikes!  Given these reaches, & given my 5'2" height, I suppose I will just have to carefully get up there a time or two initially.  At only 120 lbs, I can probably get away with it & not do much damage.  Other option, but would involve some bother, would be to rig a temporary scaffold, just a couple orchard ladders on either side of rig with a sturdy plank across, just clearing rooftop. 

Where's there's a will, there's a way!

Scarlett

EPDM weighs about 6-8oz per sq ft.

Scaffolding is needed to work on the roof.  You can build a working platform with some 2x4 and a piece of ply. You make the cross beam the width of your roof and connect them together the weight rests on the walls. A piece of ply gives you a place to sit.

7 minutes ago, markwilliam1 said:

Some suggest placing some plywood down to help distribute the weight.   BTW I highly recommend the MaxxAir deluxe.

Mark, your plywood suggestion might be easier, & less trouble, than a jerry rigged scaffold.  As long as it's safe, I always go for *easier*. 

As to the Maxx fan, I am fully convinced they are tops.  Doubt I would opt, tho, for features such as remote control.  I like to keep things simple & besides, these days, "remote control" has an ominous ring to it,  ha ha.

23 minutes ago, WME said:

EPDM weighs about 6-8oz per sq ft.

Thanks.  So that makes the EPDM roof about 60 + lbs of added weight.   Hmmm.  For lots of reasons, especially fact of rooftop AC housing removal--too heavy for me to deal with---I hope I will not have to go with EPDM roof.  Sure looks like a good roof, tho.

Edited by Scarlett O'Hara
goof

28 minutes ago, markwilliam1 said:

...I put down 4 coats.  It can take some time to dry especially if it's humid out.   Has to be applied very thick.

Mark, I assume it must dry between coats?  Would a day between coats be likely?  Was 4 coats the recommended application, or were you adding an extra measure of protection?

Sorry for the lack of clarity,...  Yes, the weight was the thing, EPDM as indicated by WME, it's amazing how more weight can seem to creep into these tasks as the total completion comes into sight. I had forgotten your past experience with the VeeDub, so I now realize you have a more evolved horsepower-to-weight ratio consciousness.  I concur with the plywood weight distribution idea, especially at your weight class.... if you do get a rig with a flat roof.   Again I was coming from a skewed SunRader perspective, and those roofs are curved. I do lean on my top, or sometimes lay over it when I,m on a ladder and I reaching to do caulking etc.and, like WME,  I went the route of making up simple scaffolding  that has served me many times since. I am 5' 9" though and results do vary. When all else fails,sometimes, I just get help.:)

TG

Edited by ToyoGuy
sp

This particular product was great. You know when it's completely dry because there won't be any blue tint to the paint. Took 1 to 2 days to dry between coats due to humidity. If I remember correctly they recommend 2 coats but since I was all prepared to paint I applied 4. The first thing I noticed was how much cooler it was in Grannie. The new paint really reflects the sun. Also when it rains it's much quieter than when the rain hit the   metal roof. I know a remote is over kill. Being so tall I can sit on the couch and almost reach the fan lol! It opens and closes on its own. I bought the the fan from a RV dealer on ebay for $170.00 free shipping and No tax. The same fan was $335.00 @ Camping World!

BTW you ought to see ToyoGuy's rig. It's stunning! He's quite the craftsman!

I have seen it and yes he has done amazing work on an already amazing camper. I for one have never worried about being on my Sunrader roof. Been up there plenty of times changing out roof vents and scrubbing with barkeepers friend. Sometimes just used to go up there and sit. Peaceful up there. At one time I weighed substantially more than Toyoguy too. At my current 130 my Sunrader wouldn't even know I was there. I so love my baby

Linda S

11 minutes ago, linda s said:

I have seen it and yes he has done amazing work on an already amazing camper. I for one have never worried about being on my Sunrader roof. Been up there plenty of times changing out roof vents and scrubbing with barkeepers friend. Sometimes just used to go up there and sit. Peaceful up there. At one time I weighed substantially more than Toyoguy too. At my current 130 my Sunrader wouldn't even know I was there. I so love my baby

Linda S

Someone nearby has a large rear window shorty or even a shorty mounted on a more modern 4x4. I drive by it often to go shopping and such. Thats what set me off on this "conquest" -- what is that and how can I get one? Of course, what I ended up with is a matter for another day.

Which brings us to roofs. There were no fastners in the old roof, but there were thin strips of aluminium glued below the rigid insulation.  I am thinking there is a nice metal frame, why not some fastners of some kind around it. So, the question is, why not?

Is it on a 4x4 Chevy? I've seen that one.

Fasteners I see no reason not to use them. We've heard too many stories about the long term durability of the staples and glue the RV industry is known for. It's all about sealing after. In that case a rubber roof would be an excellent product to get a one piece roof to cover all the work underneath and seal it completely.

Linda S

rubber roofs will out last any brush on rubber roof coating .and are not as heavy as people think there.  .good rv rubber roofing comes in all different thinkness.. and doesn't cost that much if you know were to get it. I just done a 35 foot 5th wheel  with the rubber and glue  and sealant .was little over 400.i did my sunland express for around 200. the salty part is if a rv service center the job . a 20 foot mini would run about 5 grand. I make good money doing rubber roof for people

Thanks for the compliments Linda and MW1, I couldn't have done the job I did without the kind folks on this forum. Heck, I just noticed on my profile today it's been 10 years I've been a member...........  Kinda makes me a little teary.   :clown2: D'oh !:pinch:    On the other thing, guess  I should consider  loosing weight and start meditating on my roof, maybe then I could end up knowing half of what Linda knows about these things. On the other-other thing, sometimes I think we oughta rename that stuff "RV Wheeler's Friend". It sure works well.

BR, TG

Edited by ToyoGuy

I have learned *so much* in the past 24 hours!  What a lovely group of knowledgeable & generous human beings. 

Each & every one of you have so much to share.  I am truly amazed.  And I am beginning to get to know some of you,

which makes it fun. 

*Thanks to all*  for the roofing info. 

Scarlett