Rubber Roofs

as far as the cleaning and protecting the rubber roofs, the guys at the rv shop that installed my new roof last year, instructed me how to keep it in new, tip top condition they recommended a twice a year cleaning with a product called "BIO KLEEN", it is a cleaner and UV protectant in one, on line research revealed, it is made in Michigan, the company has a wide range of RV products. the msrp is $34.99 per gallon (one gallon is enough for two cleanings on my rig). I found the bio kleen rubber roof product at a closeout store for $12.99 a gallon, the store only had two, I bought both. joe from dover.

• 1 year later...

I'm new to this site, so I hope I'm posting in the correct place.  I've been looking for an Oddessy Americana, can anyone verify for me that it has a rubber roof.  If it does, is it difficult to replace the roof, and is this something that an RV repair place can do the correct way?  I have heard of people using a cold seal paint on product on an Americana roof, but should that be used on a roof that's rubber?  Just want to know how to get the job done right, or I'll start looking for an RV which is made with an aluminum roof.  Thanks...

I am no expert on roofs, I can relate what I was told by the rv shop that replaced my roof ( originally aluminum) on my 92 Winnie. the shop replaced my roof with rubber. the shop owner told me that the rubber roof material is the industry standard now. back in the day the rubber material was not used. to my understanding, you need not coat a rubber roof unless you have a cut or hole in the membrane.  proper cleaning and using a cleaner with a uv protectant should be sufficient.  with older aluminum roofs, you are subject to developing cracks and pin holes in the aluminum as it ages, therefore requiring a coating being applied.  joe from dover.

8 hours ago, hunkaman said:

I am no expert on roofs, I can relate what I was told by the rv shop that replaced my roof ( originally aluminum) on my 92 Winnie. the shop replaced my roof with rubber. the shop owner told me that the rubber roof material is the industry standard now. back in the day the rubber material was not used. to my understanding, you need not coat a rubber roof unless you have a cut or hole in the membrane.  proper cleaning and using a cleaner with a uv protectant should be sufficient.  with older aluminum roofs, you are subject to developing cracks and pin holes in the aluminum as it ages, therefore requiring a coating being applied.  joe from dover.

Thanks,  this is great info., so the rubber roof on a class C is a good idea, I wonder if they are more difficult to replace than an aluminum one.  Any idea how I can get an idea of cost? Thanks again-

FWIW my local full service rv center says for a rubber roof install they charge $100 per linear ft., parts and labor. Thats over a good base, roof repairs are extra