Anyone know of tail lights that will fit in the Sunrader housing?

256bit

I've searched the forum and only come up with custom fab stuff. I would go that route but I don't have the time right now. I picked up some bargman 84s but the cutout size is too large. They would require cutting a significant amount of fiberglass off the shell. I don't want to do that.

Does anyone know of some tail lights that will fit and don't look terrible, even if I have to make a backplate?

You have Bargman Reflecto lites that look like this

Image result for reflecto lite 1400 bulb

There is no exact replacement. A member here made some steel backing plates to install newer LED lits in the same space but you could make some of your own backing plates. White plastic, maybe plexi or HDPE. The 84's are taller than your existing lights so you would need to cut the center of a opening a  little but I bet you can make it work.

Linda S

Those are the exact lights I have on Grannie 256. I was Very lucky a member here saw a listing for these brand new old stock on eBay. I bought a pair. Never seen them for sale before. What's wrong with yours?

57 minutes ago, markwilliam1 said:

Those are the exact lights I have on Grannie 256. I was Very lucky a member here saw a listing for these brand new old stock on eBay. I bought a pair. Never seen them for sale before. What's wrong with yours?

This is what's wrong :P

JkB0Dcd.jpg

2 hours ago, linda s said:

You have Bargman Reflecto lites that look like this

Image result for reflecto lite 1400 bulb

There is no exact replacement. A member here made some steel backing plates to install newer LED lits in the same space but you could make some of your own backing plates. White plastic, maybe plexi or HDPE. The 84's are taller than your existing lights so you would need to cut the center of a opening a  little but I bet you can make it work.

Linda S

I bought the tall 84s (with each reflector being 'taller' than wider), that was my problem. I just found the horizontal 84s that you linked to a long time ago, and picked up a pair:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bargman-Reflect-O-Light-Motorhome-Triple-Tail-Light-RV-Camper-Trailer-30-84-103/322594725139?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The ones with the vertical reflectors would require significant material to be cut. The others one should fit with only a quarter inch or so.

Edited by 256bit

Oh Man! You're SOL. Like Linda said a backing plate first then new lights. The eBay listing for those old lights is gone. He only had 2 complete sets and they sold immediately!  Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished replacing the Bargman Reflecto lites with the new ones on my Sunrader.  It works.  It's not pretty when it's done, but it's better than the originals, which were failing way too often.

I used these with the brake/turn/reverse triple: http://www.ebay.com/itm/361900827482  (I swapped the stock location of the turn/reverse to make it look like the old ones with the turn in the middle)

I ordered a piece of 1/4" 12"x24" black plexi as per the previous posts on this forum.  I was able to cut the plexi easy enough.  It took me about 4 or 5 hours total to hack it all together from start to finish.  I was just going for a practical retrofit, not something pretty.  The black trim and the offset spacer look pretty ugly to me, but it works.  I was not very pleased with the brightness at 12v (motor off) but with motor on (~14v or so) they are nice a bright.  A little disappointing on the brightness but it's ok.

Note: use the new lights to set your width of the plexi backer because the new ones are a tad wider than the old ones being replaced.  I used the old lights to mark the screw holes and mounted the backer plate, and then put new screw holes in to attach the new lights to the backer plate using the new lights as the template.

I modded the flasher unit by replacing the resistor per the post on this forum describing that mod.  The LED's make the flasher think that the turn bulbs are burnt out and so it flashed fast to tell you that.  This mod worked to slow that to a normal rate but I may still get a "proper" flasher replacement because the mod just slows down the "warning" signal.  So every time you hit the turn signal the flasher still actually thinks that the bulb is burned and this causes a weird hesitation in the turn signal each time you turn it on and then the way it flashes is kind or odd:  long off, short on rather than equal time on/off.  Nit picky for sure but I think it's gonna bug me.  It works, I guess that's the important thing.  Now I have to do the cruise control off mod to the stop light with a relay...

I've managed to update all of the lights to LED on the interior, the exterior marker lights and the tail lights.  I replaced head lights with modern halogen.  I plan to add some bright LED floods as "trail lights" on the front to light up dirt roads as we search for camp sites in wilderness areas.  If anyone has any suggestions or success stories mounting bright LED driving off-road lights to the front bumper let me know.