'76 Toyota Chinook Pop Top

32 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

$17k is a bit steep.

Derek,  a bit steep indeed, even for the SF Bay Area.  Lately prices are all over the place.  Recently I saw a CL ad for a nice, clean later model Sunrader for $25,000.  But I am beginning to get a better and better idea of what I can expect eventually to find, given patience when I am in a position to buy.   

Tho I wouldn't pass up a chance for a full size Rader, if the price were a real steal,  I am growing fonder & fonder of the mid 80's Dolphins.  I am an enthusiastic scratch cook and find the counter space of those Dolphins really appealing.  Too, I like the wrought iron cabinet bracing,  so very "west coast".

Whatever else, my rig MUST be manual transmission & have a Rear Dinette.  And now I've seen Jon's rig with a rear opening window I am mad about that idea.  Don't hold out any hope for that feature, tho.

Scarlett

Edited by Scarlett O'Hara
punctuation

52 minutes ago, neubie said:

There was a dolphin offered up on free -- come and tow away today.

Perfect opportunity for a project.  Personally,  when I complete the project of repair/restore my redwood cottage I will be burned out on any serious projects for a good long while.  Nice to know there are still some out there for those willing to take them on...

2 minutes ago, Scarlett O'Hara said:

Perfect opportunity for a project.  Personally,  when I complete the project of repair/restore my redwood cottage I will be burned out on any serious projects for a good long while.  Nice to know there are still some out there for those willing to take them on...

Never bite on these "project" buys unless you are doing it professionally or have a shop full of tools and space and garage and helpers to count on.

Plus someone towed it away.

Edited by neubie

Its probably a much better idea to buy outside the bay area and drive it here. The rest of california, north or west, isnt as absurd as the bay area is. I am not even saying out of state necessarily. Though arizona and nevada both produce much more reasonable options regularly. 

I went with the "I am going to deep remodel it anyway" option not believing in the reliability of anything but the truck. After 30 years things had to be "well used" to say the least. and that has proven right.  Things are always ready to break and ugliness is hiding just out of sight in almost every offering.

But it is back breaking and tedious and boring and to be avoided at all costs project to do a proper repair. As I am learning the hard way. It has been months of chipping away in fear of cutting the wrong wire or poking a hole or creating a leak without the benefit of documentation or plans.  Seriously, I havent gotten to one bit of touch up and its coming to three months of throwing at least a full garbage bag away. Still need to chip away at the ceiling for a while. Every (non sunrader) ceiling has leaked, no matter how good it looks. The fabric is hiding rotten plywood just waiting to poke a hole under your leg if you were to climb up there.

21 minutes ago, neubie said:

Every (non sunrader) ceiling has leaked, no matter how good it looks.

You are right about all this!  Sounds like you've got your hands full.  I live north of the Bay Area proper, and while BA prices run high, prices in SoCal are high too.  But finding a suitable Toy can take a long time, especially on a tight budget.  At least the BA and points south offer a large number for sale, thus good choice in a given time frame.

I am preparing to sell my country place & full time for at least a while.  I am also getting my vintage Westfalia ready to sell.  I've traveled extensively for decades in Mexico, even as far as Guatemala, and once I've got a rig road ready I am experienced at giving them all the TLC required to keep them running well.  I am no mechanic, but am a decent "diagnostitian" and can direct most work I pay for--even if I must do it in Spanish.   I won't hit the road with a Toy until I've driven it locally for a fair amount of time...

I know about the water damage issue with Toys, and will do my best to avoid acquiring one with serious trouble, no matter how well hidden.  My daily driver is an '82 Toy pickup I've had since new.  So at least I am familiar with the truck. 

What are you planning to use your Conquest for, once it's ready?  Have you posted any pics of your project?  You should.

Good luck with all that!

;82

There is a thread in the repair sub forum with pictures. Its a long road, but no matter how well protected or cared 30 years will put dust, grease, grime in places you dont ever imagine. It might be tolerable for us but may be over the threshold for a small pet, for example. Water systems, heatinfg, cooling, nothing is simple on the road.

If I can manage to complete this (its a big if, 2 months and more into demolition, probably only a weeks work for somebody young and ecperienced), I am hoping to visit the national parks. This is the only way I can, the cats wont let me go without them.

Try peeking through stockton, sacramento and such. They are somewhat more reasonable. South was never reasonable but the farther north or west you go (eugene, portland, sacramento, stockton, etc) the more you find.

In my case, it was more or less fate. I wasnt willing to drive a new RV for the first time even 10s of miles. So took what looked like a mechanically sound unit because it came to me. Expected to overpay and did. But all in all, the conquest (or another gulfstream) stands a better chance when misused than the dolphin, warrior and the like. Not by much, but it does have a few positive points like there being some metal in it.

Hey neubie that's Not true that all roofs leak except the Sunrader! My roof on my 86 Granville has never leaked. It's heavy gauge 1 piece aluminum. When I bought her the roof had never even been painted. No leaks in my rig ever.

6 hours ago, neubie said:

...I am hoping to visit the national parks.

The National Parks are a big draw for me, too.   And State Parks can be great on occasion, tho in CA are pricey.  There's so much gorgeous territory in the SW.  Boondocking will be a major part of my plans, tho.   There's still plenty I've never seen/explored in AZ, not to mention Utah & New Mexico. 

I do understand well what you mean when you say things move along slowly for you in your renovation.  I am moving at a snails' pace trying to get my place in shape to list for sale. 

I've read about the various Toy coach manufacturers & the advantages some have over others with regard to infrastructure.  Aside from Sunraders, which are reasonably plentiful here in CA, I see more Dolphins for sale.   I am open to "any" maker if I love the rig, but suppose I will end up with a Dolphin since there are so many to choose from.

BTW, did you say you have remo picks in a sub forum?  Where do I find them? 

If you don't already know this RV travel site, here's a wonderful resource: 

https://wandrlymagazine.com/article/rv-camping-state-parks/

4 hours ago, markwilliam1 said:

Hey neubie that's Not true that all roofs leak except the Sunrader! My roof on my 86 Granville has never leaked. It's heavy gauge 1 piece aluminum. When I bought her the roof had never even been painted. No leaks in my rig ever.

Mark,

Run around and touch every piece of wood in sight!

The metal roofs often develop tiny holes too small to be visible to naked eye. You get a round patch of wetness around it that grows ove time. It may never even seep through the insulation all the way to the bottom but its there. Just waiting for the next tree branch to scrape and cause a problem.

Metal against the elements is never a winning strategy, or there would never be rust on a car, they are painted with multiple coats using the best techniques known to man. You can only keep heading off visible symptoms with regular maintenance.

Thanks neube but aluminum doesn't rust. Thats why they used it and it is too expensive to use now on newer RVs hence rubber roofs now! Mine is a thick guage aluminum. It sat unpainted for 30 years!  I know what to look for as far as leaks and past leaks go. I completely re-did my roof last year including painting, all new SS screws, new vinyl insert trim, strIpped and recaulked everything and put Eternabond tape over front and rear seams and all low spots. The roof has never leaked nor has any pinpoint holes. My Granville was very well made but unfortunately is heavy. I completely restored the entire rig inside and out. She's beautiful now and looks showroom new. Good luck on your conquest!

Mark,

Its true that aluminium doesnt rust. But this doesnt appear to be so pure an aluminium sheet so as not worry. Reason: sorry for the bad picture but most of that gunk around the hole is rust, just like on any iron/steel surface. The roof is clean and pristine where water never went and very aluminium-ee. There is far less overall damaging effect on the roof than there is say on the propane tank or the body, but it does react with water none the less. Thats not adhesive. The manufacturers did everything else half assed. I dont trust them to use something completely immune to water. Buy YMMV.

edit: yes, I hope to do the whole eternabond, caulk, sealant bit too. If I can get the damn rusted screws off somehow!

20170805_155512.jpg

Edited by neubie

Maybe your rig was poorly built but that doesn't mean they were all half assed built. I don't know. What I do know is my roof has never had any rust, pinholes, shoddy manufacturing or any such thing. I've never seen aluminum rust!