hi all i am new here and have a 81 18' raider. she was in ruff shape 5 years ago when i got her. i just did a complete tear off and rebuild on it took almost 3500 and 3 months to do. i have been using it for my daily driver till i heard a noise in the back end. thinking bearing till i looked it up and OH $hit i have the death axle. i need this fixed asap and have never really done any truck axle work. i can learn as i work on motors since i was 13. just never needed to deal with gearing much or making mounting brackets. i have been looking for a FF rear with no luck i live in a very rural area only a few junk yards. i am in upper Michigan almost at the point lol.

so i need to know is there a different axle i could use without driveshaft mods or gearing? any help would be awesome thanks

ok thank you for that... but do you know the models i should look for? maybe t100? i have been trying my best to learn as much as i can but hard finding details. but thank you i will check this out.

No the full floaters were only on the dual wheel trucks made from 1986 until 92 or 93. Not T100 or any other Toyota. Yes that is the rear wheel of a 2wd. No 4x4's had dually wheels. You need to find the whole rear axle and the wheels that go with it. The 86 axle is an oddball but you can search from 1987 and find the right one too. Not going to be easy where your located. Looked up Houghton. I have a friend who is from Toivola.

Linda S

lol thats cool.. got my rv weighed today front 2120# full 5880# and rear 3740# and am thinking the one wheel option mite be the way to go for now and just wait till next summer. i do want the bearings done i found these i am guessing they would work for the axle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-KOYO-Rear-Wheel-Bearing-Seal-Set-Toyota-Pick-Up-Tacoma-4Runner-W-O-ABS/252354791222?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

please let me know what you think. i would only put probly 5-6000 mi on the 1 wheel setup.

5880lb is not a lightweight. AFAIK, the GVWR in 1981 was 4650lb.

If pursuing the single wheel option, not only replace the rear wheel bearings, but also the rear axles (shafts). The overloading that they have already seen might well have started the axles along the road to fatigue failure. Fatigue (in metals) does not 'self-heal).

15726712_911097567863_7558610131401369900_n.jpg

15823287_911097582833_2395801456165428297_n.jpg

I found the documentation, pictures & receipt when they replaced the axle on my 86 Granville during the recall to a full floater back in 86. Total labor $79.00! Unreal. I'm amazed Toyota did this as it wasn't their fault manufacturers way overloaded the little truck with their big coaches. I wonder how much it cost them to do all this with a brand new axle, rims, etc.? Just to ship these heavy axles all the way from Japan had to cost a fortune! I love Toyota!

i rebuilt the whole rv she is a foot longer and heavier. see my profile for remod pics. as far as i can tell the single wheel would be the cheapest route for now.. but i do want to get the 1 ton when i can afford to have one shipped up. what kind of axle shafts are the best? 

ok i am going to try the one wheel and was thinking of replacing the axle shafts. i am not sure what i need i found this and need to know if they would work. let me know please

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G2-95-2041-001-8in-Replacement-Axle-Shaft-for-79-85-Toyota-Pick-up-4Runner-/141571096942?fits=Year%3A1981|Make%3AToyota|Model%3APickup&epid=1437431791&hash=item20f64b816e:g:D44AAOSw8d9U2jLF&vxp=mtr

So none of the guys are stepping in to help. That axle you show is for a 4x4 truck. Not right length and 6 lugs. The axle shaft you need is not available aftermarket that I can find. Only 1 from many Toyota axle shafts is right for your vehicle and they still make it but it costs a ton

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~shaft~rear~axle~42311-35060.html?Make=Toyota&Model=Pickup&Year=1981&Submodel=&Filter=(d=USA;5=MTM;6=4F;7=HVY;9=IV)&Location=rear-axle-shaft-hub,,42311

Like I said before you don't know if yours are even bad yet.

Linda S