What is this waterline for?

I discovered a slight leak in the closet of my 1984 Toyota Sunrader 18'. It was dripping down the vent pipe that goes down to the black water tank. Turns out there's a water line running alongside that vent pipe, and I traced it back down to where it attaches to another water line under the fridge near the heater. Fortunately, there's a valve where it attaches, and I was able to shut that off.

My question is: What is this water line's purpose? Why does it even exist? Is there any harm in always leaving it turned off?

IMG_2844.jpg

That swamp cooler hypothesis is interesting, and maybe something I'll do to (re)create a swamp cooler. But why would it run up to the top of the closet?

Speaking of swamp coolers, I bought an Evapolar and made my own following these instructions.

On 8/1/2017 at 10:54 PM, sweetleon said:

I discovered a slight leak in the closet of my 1984 Toyota Sunrader 18'. It was dripping down the vent pipe that goes down to the black water tank. Turns out there's a water line running alongside that vent pipe, and I traced it back down to where it attaches to another water line under the fridge near the heater. Fortunately, there's a valve where it attaches, and I was able to shut that off.

My question is: What is this water line's purpose? Why does it even exist? Is there any harm in always leaving it turned off?

IMG_2844.jpg

To the top of the closet then where from there? Roof?