I've been up a ten foot stepladder with a paint edger all afternoon & since I've survived that yet again, I figured I deserved to relax with an iced coffee and a peek at CL. 

Just now,  I came across a pretty little rig to digitally "appraise" (& thanks to several of you I am getting better at it!).  Seller sez (22R) engine was "rebuilt" two years ago.  First CL Toy I've taken note of with a "rebuild".   

I have a growing list of gnarly questions for sellers, but this one hasn't been addressed.  My first thought:  was engine rebuilt professionally or by seller?   After that, I don't know where that leads.   I *just know* there's got to be more to this than that! 

Your thoughts, please.  Thanks!

Edited by Scarlett O'Hara
? mark

I can rebuild an engine better than many of the pro shops, if you don't think so, why just ask me about me :clown2:... What that means if you need to find out who did the rebuild and check their reputation. This is the same as what mods the PO did to the RV you end up with. Some POs are better than others.

Words ..."Overhauled" is a lesser rebuild. Mainly a quickie redo...Rings, rod bearings and a new gasket set... Good for 25,000-50,000 mi.

"Rebuild" means the engine has been re manufactured...new oversized pistons and rings, new bearings rods and mains, new timing chain, oil pump. The block is machined for the larger pistons, the crankshaft is machined for the new thicker bearings. The head gets the valves resurfaced or replaced and is checked for being straight. The higher quality rebuilds will use a new head assy. Other HQ signs new camshaft and followers

Gotta dig for the facts

1 hour ago, WME said:

I can rebuild an engine better than many of the pro shops, if you don't think so, why just ask me about me :clown2:... What that means if you need to find out who did the rebuild and check their reputation. This is the same as what mods the PO did to the RV you end up with. Some POs are better than others.

Words ..."Overhauled" is a lesser rebuild. Mainly a quickie redo...Rings, rod bearings and a new gasket set... Good for 25,000-50,000 mi.

"Rebuild" means the engine has been re manufactured...new oversized pistons and rings, new bearings rods and mains, new timing chain, oil pump. The block is machined for the larger pistons, the crankshaft is machined for the new thicker bearings. The head gets the valves resurfaced or replaced and is checked for being straight. The higher quality rebuilds will use a new head assy. Other HQ signs new camshaft and followers

Gotta dig for the facts

Yeah you really need to be careful with PO info. My PO had rebuilt the head 60,000mi before I bought it, but he trashed it. Milled way too far under minimum spec, no coolant pressure for a long, long time, ran only water in the rad for at least a decade, thought replacing an exhaust stud with RTV was good enough, chowdered oil pump threads with imperial bolts nearly resulting in catastrophic engine failure when all the oil leaked out in a couple of miles.. used rtv on the oil pan gasket.. thought it was a good idea to put a double roller in by milling the drive spline for the oil pump down on the geared end.. totally fucked all of the wiring.. epoxied the front main seal into the oil pump.. I could go on forever. Don't trust a PO. It has taken us thousands of dollars to undo all of the POs mistakes. That doesn't even include the engine. We're only just now starting the process of actually RESTORING the sunrader. Take it as a cautionary tale. Be very careful when dealing with rigs this old and don't believe anything a seller says.

But yeah, I'm with @WME (who is 1,000,000x more experienced than I am, for the record) on this one. If the crank hasn't been turned or replaced, the block punched over (necessitating new pistons), new rods, bearings etc at the *very least*, consider it trash. A head can always be rebuilt on the cheap, but once you get into the block dollar signs will flash before your eyes like lightning bolts. And that's before you pay anyone to remove and install the engine if you don't have the hoist, space, and know-how.

Edited by 256bit

Many people think a head gasket is a rebuild. Was it a rebore has the crank been turned what are the over sizes?

Thanks, gentlemen.  That's  a lot to chew on.

Is there a rule of thumb as to when, in terms of mileage, a 22R might realistically be due for a complete rebuild/new block?  I assume previous maintenance practice is part of the equation, but is this the sort of decision best made by a competent Toyota mechanic prior to purchase?   I am beginning to see that, when Toy shopping, (for some buyers) ignorance is bliss. 

Scarlett

Even in a MH a 22r/re should go 125,000 mi or better. Early rebuilds are abuse driven, the  biggest buggers are overheating, lack of proper valve adjustments and timing chain failures. Of course there numerous ways for a really creative owner to mess things up

I've seen people reporting 22RE engines being rebuilt with as little as 50k miles. The big 'unkowns' are how they were treated and also did they really need rebuilding or were gullible owners talked into a rebuild by an unscrupulous garage?

The other extreme are the people who love saying the 22RE is 'bulletproof' and last 300k-400k miles. Yeah, right! Maybe in an unloaded pickup. I think I only remember 1 or 2 in motorhomes with over 200k and evn those I/we can't usually be certain they haven't been rebuilt at some point! :)

39 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

I've seen people reporting 22RE engines being rebuilt with as little as 50k miles. The big 'unkowns' are how they were treated and also did they really need rebuilding or were gullible owners talked into a rebuild by an unscrupulous garage?

The other extreme are the people who love saying the 22RE is 'bulletproof' and last 300k-400k miles. Yeah, right! Maybe in an unloaded pickup. I think I only remember 1 or 2 in motorhomes with over 200k and evn those I/we can't usually be certain they haven't been rebuilt at some point! :)

Hi Derek,

The plot thickens, eh?   In a perfect world, I'd find a rig with original owner & impeccable maintenance with complete records.  Perhaps an older couple who used their rig annually, but didn't put too much mileage on the odometer.  (One can dream!)