2nd time this has happened turned the key and no start. I'm assuming the starter is going. Am planning a long trip to see the Total Eclipse soon so I want this fixed. Can the starter on these rigs be rebuilt? It only has 37k on it but it is old. I can't imagine a Toyota starter going bad with such low mileage. Can the contacts be cleaned if there are any? Can you test a starter?  I hate to replace a quality Toyota starter with something from China. Any suggestions greatly appreciated! 

Could be the switch is going bad. Bypass it and test it. No idea if it's the same for every year but here's the FSM diagram for my '83

20170731_182448.thumb.jpg.1b91478343e8fbca11050a213103b6a9.jpg

Edited by 256bit

Just the dreaded click Linda. The starter is getting power. Turn the key again and it starts. I'm concerned about being on the road in the boonies with no cell coverage and it won't start. 256 way beyond me...don't know how to bypass whatever switch your referring to but Thanks!

16 minutes ago, markwilliam1 said:

Just the dreaded click Linda. The starter is getting power. Turn the key again and it starts. I'm concerned about being on the road in the boonies with no cell coverage and it won't start. 256 way beyond me...don't know how to bypass whatever switch your referring to but Thanks!

I could have this totally wrong but I'm just going by what I remember from when we rewired the engine, but there's 3 connections on the starter. Two are 0-4awg wire for pos/neg on the battery, and are secured with nuts. then there's a clip connector for the switch, which gets power when you turn the key to start, which opens the circuit on the starter. If there was anything wrong with the ignition switch itself or the wiring, you would know by bypassing the switch and supplying it with power directly, using a piece of wire and a spade connector. You would want to disconnect the ignition coil to prevent it from turning over. Replacing the starter is a pain (there's one bolt that you can't really get to, need to jack it up waaaay high) so if it was me I'd want to rule that out first. But again, I could be wrong. Someone that's more knowledgeable (like @WME ) can chime in.

Edited by 256bit

It is the dreaded contact sydrome. The problem is the contacts inside of the starter every single Toyota starter will eventually do the same thing. It really is a simple fix once the starter is removed. Behind the 3 screws on the solenoid is a disks and two contacts one will be pounded to death replace both clean up the disk as best you can reassemble good for several more years. 

Thanks Maineah. Since all that's, unfortunately, beyond my abilities do I just need to replace the starter? I don't know any local shop that even rebuilds starter.

10 hours ago, markwilliam1 said:

Thanks Maineah. Since all that's, unfortunately, beyond my abilities do I just need to replace the starter? I don't know any local shop that even rebuilds starter.

Toyota starters last forever and even longer.   Look in the phone book, do a web search you will find a shop that specializes in rebuilding starters.  Take your starter in and have it redone, money well spent.   You do not want a garage that says auto electric but actual rebuilders.  Also rebuilt starters from the chains are mostly junk.

aaa.jpg

I had an '82 pickup that had the same problem at about 100,000 miles.  I had a real starter shop rebuild the starter and it was still working at 215,000 miles when the body fell off and I gave it to someone.  A year later it was still running with 220,000 miles.

Thanks Linda for your time! I found that place also. Went there today. Nothing there! This happens a lot with Google, old addresses that aren't there anymore! Wish they would update their data base. Anyway I'm taking Grannie to a shop tomorrow. Hope they can clean the contacts or @ least get a quality Denso rebuilt starter and not some Chinese junk! I still don't know what could be wrong with a Denso starter with only 37k miles on it when I've read they last forever!

Clean you grounds really well. It doesn't take much to loose the amps you need for the starter.

Thanks Linda and Fred!! Will tell my mechanic tomorrow.

I wore out the copper commutator contact rings in my stock starter and got them from the local Toyota dealer, put them in and am at 275000 miles on my 88 truck.

20 hours ago, markwilliam1 said:

Yeah understand it's a shame you can't find someone it's such a simple fix it is about only thing that ever goes wrong with those starters. 

Which leads me to believe how can this starter be bad with only 37k miles on it? What others have posted are problems with Denso starters having well over 100k miles! I think it is a bad contact somewhere or like Fred said a ground problem. I sure don't want a cheap aftermarket starter installed. So I ask all you Toy mechanics the place I'll take it to tomorrow said they could test the starter. What's that mean? Can a test determine if it's a bad contact or bad ground? Linda found a new OEM starter for $100 which is great but I can't imagine needing a new starter yet! It has only happened twice that I got the click and then it started. Will this get progressively worse? I'm only concerned now because we have a 600 mile trip in 2 weeks to see the Total Eclipse! Thanks for all your responses!

In little Brookings town (pop6000) we have a shop that rebuilds starters and generators, he is in the auto parts store. There is one also in nearby Cresent City, also a small town. Get in the phone book and look for auto electric, if they don't do it ask them who does. Get it tested on a bench, it may not be worn out but it might be thirty years of spider webs, dirt, rust, lack of lube, or whatever in there.

Will get it benched tested Lee! We are going to Carbondale Illinois from Ohio. Supposed to be 4 or more minutes of total eclipse! Taking my photography gear. The only draw back is after that 600 mile journey (that's why I want the starter fixed!) I sure hope it's sunny out LOL! BTW the next total eclipse will pass over Ohio in 2024. Not so far to drive then:-) 

19 hours ago, markwilliam1 said:

Thanks Linda for your time! I found that place also. Went there today. Nothing there! This happens a lot with Google, old addresses that aren't there anymore! Wish they would update their data base. Anyway I'm taking Grannie to a shop tomorrow. Hope they can clean the contacts or @ least get a quality Denso rebuilt starter and not some Chinese junk! I still don't know what could be wrong with a Denso starter with only 37k miles on it when I've read they last forever!

Very frustrating, even worse when it happens the 2nd or 3rd time.   Type the address in Google search and a picture will come up. Left click on the picture and you can scroll around and see what is there.  Easy peasey. 

aaa.jpg

Thanks jj! I'll try that next time. So the starter place is now a lumberjacks. I wonder if they rebuild starters LOL. So Grannie is in the shop now. They won't remove the starter to bench test it. He said if I go to the trouble of removing the starter I will just replaced it! Bummer. He also said he only uses AC DELCO starters so if needed not sure what type of AC DELCO starter  would be required?  A heavy duty truck starter? Any ideas anyone? Haven't heard back from the shop yet.

Update! Well Grannies home now. The shop couldn't find anything wrong with the starter but didn't remove it. They did do what Fred suggested and cleaned all contacts and grounds. The mechanic said one of the starter contacts had some green corrosion so he cleaned them up. They recommended not replacing the starter unless it gets worse. Said my trip for the Total Eclipse should be fine. If need be to hammer the starter. He also said he's never heard of a Toyota starter completely failing suddenly. One recommendation was to run a ground from the battery directly to the engine block in addition to the firewall. $45.00 out the door. Gives me piece of mind. Thanks All for your help!!

More info. Linda I contacted the company you suggested and they said the starter is discontinued. Not available anymore. Now I want a spare starter! I found a rebuilt OEM Toyota starter from Metro Toyota for $102. Ordered it but was shocked when he said there are only 2 rebuilt OEM starters available in the entire country! Heads up for anyone interested in having a spare Toyota starter. No AutoZone made in China junk for Grannie! Can't buy a new one anywhere now. So I feel safe carrying a spare starter on our trip to the Total Eclipse. Sweet! 

It doesn't matter now but I checked that site and didn't find any with the 28100-35030 part #. But no argue with you Linda. You know how to search parts much better than me! I just know I now have the exact OEM replacement starter . No worries!

That part number isn't even on the link I sent you. This is your starter and it's at Rock Auto

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1292686&cc=1277300&jsn=13

The Toyota parts site says this one you bought doesn't fit your vehicle. Look for 4x4 without heavy duty. You are definitely heavy duty

Starter Remanufactured G R

• Description:

Gas. 4wd. 4 cylinder. Pick-up, 4-runner. Without heavy duty.

• Notes: Parts & Prices For Estimating Only.

Linda S

I'm totally confused now Linda! The part # you originally told me was # 28100- 35020. Thats the # that is on my starter and you were correct. They confirmed that when I ordered the rebuild Denso starter. Same part #. Why do you say it wont fit now??

Also the link you sent from rock auto said the part # 2800130 not 28100 which is the correct #. 

Thanks Derek! When I removed the old ground screw from the battery to the firewall (of course it broke off) it was merely screwed into the firewall with no contact area except the threads. Paint all around the area except the screw hole. I drilled a new hole and scraped the paint off for a good contact area. Applied dielectric grease and secured the ground with a SS screw then ran another lead to the engine block. Like you and Fred said grounds are very important! I didn't know that. Could be part of my starter problem! I'm grounded now:-)

I have had two 22re starters fail abruptly. One was a 250000 mile stocker, the other a 75000 mile made in Mexico. No warning on either. The after market one failed a month ago, I went into a parts store to pick up a master cylinder, came out and no starter... went back in got a starter, got a push start 5 speed manual trans pickup, and had two fix it jobs instead of one.

8 hours ago, markwilliam1 said:

I'm totally confused now Linda! The part # you originally told me was # 28100- 35020. Thats the # that is on my starter and you were correct. They confirmed that when I ordered the rebuild Denso starter. Same part #. Why do you say it wont fit now??

OK so you posted that it was a 28100-35030 and that was the one I said was wrong. Yours will take a 35020 or a 35080. If you look at the bottom of the info line on the Rock Auto one it say alternate part numbers 28100-35080. Sounds like the one you got is fine you just wrote the number down wrong and I panicked.

Linda S

My mistake with all those #'s! Thanks Again Linda. And Lee, glad I'll have a spare!