3500w inverter generator

WME

New at Harbor Freight a 3500w inverter generator. 57db  100lbs. Special  price $650.00

5 hours ago, Nam said:

Does it have electric start?

Yes it does, OK deal but 57 Db is not real quiet and they don't state at what load so I'm guessing 1/4 to 1/2. If you really want quiet you got to pay for it.

26 minutes ago, Maineah said:

Yes it does, OK deal but 57 Db is not real quiet and they don't state at what load so I'm guessing 1/4 to 1/2. If you really want quiet you got to pay for it.

Out the nose. You only get sorta-quiet when you get into the $2,000+ range. If I was in the market for a generator I would probably skip over having to replace a harbor freight one multiple times a year and just save that money for a honda or yamaha that will last forever. Still, for those with a super duper tight budget the cheaper ones (800w) can work. Just don't expect them to last longer than a few months.

Edited by 256bit

Having electric start is good for bumper mount! The Honda Eu2000i has similar noise level between 53 and 59 dB(A) with about 1/2 of wattage

We go through the reliability/warranty thing every time somebody posts a Harbor Freight generator.

So who here HAS a HF genset?? Who has had problems with it? How many HR on your HF generator.?

I have an 2000w inverter unit and after 3 hr its still good. It is my house backup generator.  Doesn't get much use in the summer, but winter power outages are often. I have a manual switch over control panel. It takes about 5 min to hook up the generator and do the switch.

I

36 minutes ago, WME said:

We go through the reliability/warranty thing every time somebody posts a Harbor Freight generator.

So who here HAS a HF genset?? Who has had problems with it? How many HR on your HF generator.?

I have an 2000w inverter unit and after 3 hr its still good. It is my house backup generator.  Doesn't get much use in the summer, but winter power outages are often. I have a manual switch over control panel. It takes about 5 min to hook up the generator and do the switch.

I

I have had 2 HF generators. The first one didn't run. The second one ran for about 10 hours then threw it's rod. I've had other cheap behind chinese generators (like powermax), and none of those lasted longer than 20 hours.

Edited by 256bit

Totem has had his Harbor Freight Predator generator for a while now and I bet it gets used a lot. Haven't heard any complaints yet. New so not a lot of reviews but 5 stars so far. The 2000wt generator has been out for quite a while and that review rating is still 4.6 out of 5. sounds good to me

Linda S

I must be the one that got crazy lucky. Mine still runs my AC and electric pizza maker in tandem . Ive had it so long they dont even make this model any more. I could easily buy one at $650 and buy another one if it died to swap it out for less than a honda( buy second one and replace bad one in warranty get refund). They seem to not change chasis but every 5 years beating 36 months. Still, honda is a brand name, but then again i never wore guess jeans either. 

I have a Buffalo Tools little 2000 watt generator it's the same thing as a Champion and most likely some of the HF units. It is maybe 15 years old. Had an oil leak  changed out the seal for the low oil probe replaced the carburetor (easier and cheaper than fixing it ) fuel shut lever broke off  replaced valve, the fuel gauge system clouded over then rotted to the point it fell into the tank tank in little pieces the bolts on everything kind of shook loose. One other issue is no one local has parts so it's not a same day fix.  Nothing major but very annoying. This is an open frame generator far easier to repair then a inverter one inside a box and a lot less complex. A few years ago I bought a Roybi inverter generator it did not make it a day before it went back to HD I made a point of wheeling it through HD so they could see how badly it leaked oil out of the front seal all over their floor. I have a Honda 5000 watt (it powers the house) of about the same vintage I twist the key it never fails to start only thing I have had to do was change oil.  Bottom line if you have a serious need for your generator to run spend the extra money.

Edited by Maineah

Couldn't agree more! My little Honda is a beast!

Best honda i ever bought was my honda power washer. I had previously gone through 3 crappy electric power washers before deciding i wanted gas. The 3500 psi honda they sold me a floor model for $178 effectively beating harbor freights price. I beat on that thing and leave it out all winter each year it never even cracks from having water and freezing. So i dont doubt the quality but man that price though on those generators. Its downright irrational 

Edited by Totem

You've had Great Luck with your HF genny Totem! My rational for the expensive Honda was pure reliability, parts availability and repair facilities if needed. My thoughts were the Honda genny might last 2 to 3 times as long as a Chinese knockoff making the price more rational!

Edited by markwilliam1
more info

My not having been rational paid for the lifepo 4 batteries and electric scooters i run on every trip which are by far the best way to cool off. Still had the AC too when i got home. I suppose not buying a honda generator in favor of a HF inverter would also in effect pay for ironically a honda goblin to strap on the back... same cost.

Honda Goblin? Is that an electric scooter? I recently converted my old mountain bike to electric. I carry it on my ladder rack. Very expensive conversion but it goes 40 miles @25mph between charges. Have saddled bags for carrying stuff. I never found an electric scooter that I could fit my 6'4" legs into plus the weight of the bicycle is under 40 lbs. Rational No, fun Yes!

Honda goblin is a lightweight street legal moped from the 70s/80s from same company that makes your favorite generator. Electric. Bikes that go over 20 mph are not considered street legal without a plate in most states. The goblin also would need a plate

Edited by Totem

I'm not telling anyone my electric bike goes over 20 mph LOL! My buddy hunkaman has a 70's Honda Hobbit moped. Very Sweet but my legs are too long to steer it!

Predator generators are made for Harbor Freight. Probably in China but I did see in a blog somewhere that the factory used to make engines for Honda and is still working from their blueprints. Of course I don't know if that's true or not. They are California legal now. The invertor ones weren't when they first came out but now yes

Linda S