Looks like a charcoal canister. Confirm by checking if the vacuum lines run to another charcoal canister, the vapor return line (metal fuel rail), a vacuum switch, and/or the reed valve/EACV/EGR/something on your intake manifold.

It looks like the one that's loose is the vapor hose. Just put a spring clip or some kind of clamp on it.

Edited by 256bit

its a california car, so one should be somewhere in the car. it doesnt match any other description.  but every diagram shows it elsewhere and all of the internet shows this space empty.

Will clip and trace hoses. today is the first day the engine is clean enough to be touchable, so tomorrow should be a good time to fix this. most other hoses seem sound, nothing seems cracked enough to imminently fail. that was a huge relief for the most part, hope appearances arent deceptive.

thanks again.

sorry, doesnt look like this is the charcoal cannister. Charcoal cannister should be on the other side and matches the ports and hoses in the FSM.

This thing has two ports, vac and s. Vac draws from a t connection on the top of the efi/engine which is loose and s seems to go to the engine and do something with the clutch or the throttle. so totally out of the emmission circuit.

The green circle is the charcoal cannister. the red box i dont recognize.

20170728_202825.jpg

Edited by neubie

If you have cruise control that maybe the vacuum accumulator.

It is. I reached the same conclusion. It is definitely part of the cruise control circuit. Previous owner had claimed "I never used it" which had told me that it wasnt quite working.  Just for kicks, here is the cruise control knob, that I must also fix. The broken one hanging loose.

20170708_203142.jpg

11 hours ago, WME said:

If you have cruise control that maybe the vacuum accumulator.

Oh wow, good catch. I hadn't even thought of that. That's actually right where mine was so that's probably it.

On 7/29/2017 at 0:33 AM, neubie said:

It is. I reached the same conclusion. It is definitely part of the cruise control circuit. Previous owner had claimed "I never used it" which had told me that it wasnt quite working.  Just for kicks, here is the cruise control knob, that I must also fix. The broken one hanging loose.

20170708_203142.jpg

Do you have a control module? I think it's pretty much unheard of (but I could very easily be wrong) for any of those cruise modules to still be installed. I know that they're worth a boatload of money.

At one time mr. car was very well equipped, so I would guess the circuit is complete. But where again would one find it? There is a connection to the secondary throttle through these doohickeys and the cruise control stick is properly wired in the dash. I havent checked where it goes beyond the steering column.

47 minutes ago, neubie said:

At one time mr. car was very well equipped, so I would guess the circuit is complete. But where again would one find it? There is a connection to the secondary throttle through these doohickeys and the cruise control stick is properly wired in the dash. I havent checked where it goes beyond the steering column.

It would look something like this:

$_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

or this

$_57.JPG?set_id=8800005007

Don't know where it would be mounted. Follow the wires

Edited by 256bit