1984 Nissan Sunrader axle question

vizualeyesit

I know it's not a Toyota but I think some of you are familiar with Nissan's.. can anyone tell by looking at this photo if this has the 1 ton axle or not? I've tried to research but coming up blank and this one is 500 miles from me and owned by a 90 year old who doesn't know much about It..

IMG_1434.JPG

When trying to verify a full float axle we need to see pics of the hub. They all look pretty much the same from underneath. If it's really an 84 it should have a full float. Nissan came out with them in 1984 so it's not an upgrade. Just factory stock. Just in case it's an 83 with an 84 tag try to get a pic of the outside of the rear wheel. Then I can tell you for sure.

Linda S

Sounds good. Thank you! Not sure if getting a pic of it will be possible. I was trying to get the VIN to verify it's year because I had read that 84 was the year they started putting the full ton axle in but I haven't been able to get it yet. This rig also has a little rust under the front quarter of the cab which concerns me a little. I've read that rust is a concern on those Nissan's. Is that true?

1 minute ago, Derek up North said:

Well, you didn't mention the whole thing! :)

Unless I'm mistaken, you'll find the Nissan FF axle has 6 lugs but they never got around to fitting 6 lugs up front. Do you think the seller can count to 6? :)

Lol. It's got a hubcab on it and the seller is 90 and has no interest in gathering info.   I was hoping the picture would tell the story.  I'll post a photo of the outside but I don't think it's going to give any more clues.

Also a photo of the rusted area..

IMG_1419.JPG

IMG_1420.JPG

IMG_1422.JPG

IMG_1431.JPG

1 minute ago, Derek up North said:

Well, fortunately one of the hub caps appears to have fallen off. I think I can see a hint of the FF hub visible. :)

Nissan.jpg

I'm laughing out loud right now. Literally. I didn't notice that until you just pointed it out. You're so smart. ? So you think this looks like the full floater then huh?

Can't really see the hub. Just the lug number isn't much help cause Nissans have 6 lugs on their regular trucks. I will have to take a look at mine tomorrow and see if the handhold looks the same. No clue. But that Sunrader has the roof rack at the top section of the roof. It might be newer than 84.

Just found pics of the 84 Gail used to have and the wheel looks right for a full floater.

As far as rust. My Nissan Sunrader lived most of it's life in Alaska and then was abandoned in a field for a couple of years in New York. Had quite a few issues but rust wasn't one of them.

Linda S

10 hours ago, linda s said:

Can't really see the hub. Just the lug number isn't much help cause Nissans have 6 lugs on their regular trucks. I will have to take a look at mine tomorrow and see if the handhold looks the same. No clue. But that Sunrader has the roof rack at the top section of the roof. It might be newer than 84.

Just found pics of the 84 Gail used to have and the wheel looks right for a full floater.

As far as rust. My Nissan Sunrader lived most of it's life in Alaska and then was abandoned in a field for a couple of years in New York. Had quite a few issues but rust wasn't one of them.

Linda S

Thanks for this info Linda! I have been trying to find photos of Nissan Sunraders to cross reference and saw Gail's as well. They don't look the same which made me think it wasn't an 84 but I wasn't sure if it was newer or older. 

Do you think the rusted through area could possibly have come from a battery leak? It's been sitting in a shop for years not running...

4 minutes ago, linda s said:

No way to tell from pics alone. We won't know more about it until you buy it. What are you waiting for. The guys 90. This deal could vanish in seconds

Linda

Haha!! True true. I'm supposed to be getting the VIN today or tomorrow. I think that should clear it up. It needs a lot of work but the price is right. I just need to get there!! I'll keep ya posted.  ?

• 1 year later...

Well what ever happened on the Sunrader? Did you buy it? Do you mind me asking what the asking price was and what you paid for it? Thanks