Hey all!

Getting ready to install our Weber 32-36 carburetor kit in our 1982 Sunrader. Before we begin just want to know if I need to buy any other parts that don't come with the kit, like an ERG block off kit or anything else?

Thanks!

Who made the kit and what does the instructions say?

If you need to block the egr the "block off kit" for the 22r has 3 plates and is like $15

You can run emissions with a weber but only w/ the california smog legal version. Personally when I did mine I was happy to be rid of all the emissions crap. Do you know what that stuff does after 40 years? That's right, nothing. If your EGR valve hasn't been replaced, it's already completely clogged and stuck (hopefully in the closed position). To run a regular 32/36 weber you only need 2 vacuum lines: one for the brake booster and one (not two) for the distributor advance. Everything else, if it has a vacuum line running to it, rip it out of the engine bay and throw it in the trash. The other issue you'll run into is the stock PCV configuration. You need to vent blowby out of the engine, which requires vacuum. Since you can't get it from the smog shit or carb anymore, you need to pull direct manifold vacuum. I have a barbed pipe fitting on my intake manifold which serves this purpose. You can remove all of the vacuum switches and useless junk from your manifold and plug them up (LCE sells the plug kit, you won't find JSPT/BSPT plugs in a hardware store)

In the webers normal configuration, the PCV fitting farthest from the firewall (without the valve) will go to the carb, bypassing the filter on the airbox. The valved one needs manifold vacuum. Put catch cans on both of them.

It's tempting to just put breathers on both, but you will reduce your engine lifespan in doing so. You can find cheap catch cans from china and stuff some baffling in them (steel wool works really well), or make your own from aluminum water bottles. Don't use PVC piping as it will definitely melt.

I don't know what @WME is smoking but you only need 1 plate on a pre-85 22r. http://www.lceperformance.com/EGR-Block-Plate-Kit-Cyl-Head-20R-22R-RE-RET-p/1016009.htm

You can just cut the air injection rail and fold it over on your manifold, then use a wire feed welder to seal it if you're paranoid. I can upload a picture of mine if you want.

Edited by 256bit

Well I guess 256bit and I've been smoking something :D http://www.lceperformance.com/EGR-Block-Plate-Kit-20R-22R-Carb-Only-p/1016038.htm.

The 3rd plate is a water block off plate for manifold changes. Forgot that that LMBC was only changing the carb not carb and intake.

The link also has a video which answers many questions.,

1 hour ago, WME said:

Well I guess 256bit and I've been smoking something :D http://www.lceperformance.com/EGR-Block-Plate-Kit-20R-22R-Carb-Only-p/1016038.htm.

The 3rd plate is a water block off plate for manifold changes. Forgot that that LMBC was only changing the carb not carb and intake.

The link also has a video which answers many questions.,

I guess I've been smoking something too. I made my own plate for that mating surface so I can pull manifold vacuum from it. Whoops

@LilMamaBoneCrusher buy them or make your own. seriously though, there's a reason aside from emissions that you have manifold vacuum on the PCV. If the blowby is not adequately vented it will do 3 things:

1. Contribute to the corrosion of things that are really, really important (crankshaft, oil galleys, etc)
  2. The positive pressure from inadequately vented blowby will blow gaskets and cause leaks everywhere
  3. Create a layer of grime on the inside of the block and head that will eventually gum up your entire engine

Back in the day, they were run directly under the car. Contrary to popular belief, they didn't just move away from this because it dripped oil onto the road and vented blowby to the atmosphere. It was a 2 birds one stone sorta thing. The passing air did not create enough vacuum pressure to adequately vent mid-high mileage engines (with mid-high ring wear). So don't do that. As you can imagine, regular breathers will be a death sentence for your engine (aside from them getting completely clogged by oil within a few hundred miles)

PCV is simple and yet befuddles a lot of people.

There 2 vent pipes on the valve cover. The front one, just behind the oil fill cap, is the inlet. So you need to plumb a hose the air cleaner so that clean air is feed into the engine.

Plan b is a  air cleaner type vent. Some thing like this.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-N-Engineering-62-1420-Universal-Crankcase-Vent-Air-Filter-Chrome-End-Cap-/222491008124?epid=657208889&hash=item33cd7f5c7c:g:c3AAAOSwtGlZAsI9&vxp=mtr

Both setups need the rear vent this is where the PCV valve is installed. A hose should go from the PCV valve to a manifold constant vacuum source.

Installing the air cleaner vent  with out the PCV  valve, just as a, vent will result in an oil covered engine. No vents at all will cause oil leaks every where.

Edited by WME

On 7/26/2017 at 7:12 PM, WME said:

PCV is simple and yet befuddles a lot of people.

There 2 vent pipes on the valve cover. The front one, just behind the oil fill cap, is the inlet. So you need to plumb a hose the air cleaner so that clean air is feed into the engine.

Plan b is a  air cleaner type vent. Some thing like this.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-N-Engineering-62-1420-Universal-Crankcase-Vent-Air-Filter-Chrome-End-Cap-/222491008124?epid=657208889&hash=item33cd7f5c7c:g:c3AAAOSwtGlZAsI9&vxp=mtr

Both setups need the rear vent this is where the PCV valve is installed. A hose should go from the PCV valve to a manifold constant vacuum source.

Installing the air cleaner vent  with out the PCV  valve, just as a, vent will result in an oil covered engine. No vents at all will cause oil leaks every where.

I don't mean to derail the thread, but.. I thought also functioned as an outlet while under load, since the intake vacuum pressure is lower than the block/head pressure at higher rpms, blowby is forced out of the front inlet. That was my theory anyway. In the regular weber config, the front inlet bypasses the air filter on the carb. Before we rebuilt my 22R there was oil and blowby coming up through the front inlet and into the carb. Maybe that was only hapening because the PO was a moron. The rings were completely buggered, and the deck height on the head was 0.3" under the minimum spec, resulting in a stupid compression ratio. Our machinist said he was surprised that it didn't blow itself up without racing fuel.

Edited by 256bit