Wanting to install generator in 1986 Travel Master

swartnev

Hey everyone, I recently bought a 1986 Travel Master which doesn't have a generator. I'd like to have electricity while on the road so I'm wanting to install a generator but have no idea about generators in the slightest. What do I need to know about choosing/installing a generator? 

9 minutes ago, swartnev said:

Hey everyone, I recently bought a 1986 Travel Master which doesn't have a generator. I'd like to have electricity while on the road so I'm wanting to install a generator but have no idea about generators in the slightest. What do I need to know about choosing/installing a generator? 

Rv generators that are built in are a bread to themselves. They exhaust heat and engine exhaust out the bottom and are supplied fuel from the truck fuel tank they also have some type of built in transfer power system. Any of the off the shelf generators do not meet the criteria. Many people have solved that by mounting them on a rear carrier and plugging in their camper power cord while on the road.

First thing you will need to know is how big you will need, the major consumer on an RV is the roof ac.  Do you want to run the roof air with the generator?

Edited by jjrbus

That's exactly what I do swart. I have a Honda 2000i mounted on my rear carrier and I plug in my 30 amp RV cord into the generator while driving. I'm able to have my roof AC unit running while driving BUT the majority of roof AC units need a bigger genset (over 2000 watts continuous to run the roof AC!) I don't have cab AC so this set-up works for my rig. Why do you want 110 volt ac working while driving? You do have 12 volt dc available. To install a built-in generator would cost you thousands! Like Maineah stated most of us who need a genny buy a portable one and mount it securely on the back. Couldn't afford the other option! Good Luck & Welcome!

Edited by markwilliam1
more info

1 hour ago, jjrbus said:

First thing you will need to know is how big you will need, the major consumer on an RV is the roof ac.  Do you want to run the roof air with the generator?

Yes, I want to run the roof unit. Myself and three other people will be taking a month-long road trip soon and I'd really like to have ac while we're driving. I don't think the ac from the cab will cool off the whole rv, but maybe I'm wrong?

1 hour ago, markwilliam1 said:

That's exactly what I do swart. I have a Honda 2000i mounted on my rear carrier and I plug in my 30 amp RV cord into the generator while driving. I'm able to have my roof AC unit running while driving BUT the majority of roof AC units need a bigger genset (over 2000 watts continuous to run the roof AC!) I don't have cab AC so this set-up works for my rig. Why do you want 110 volt ac working while driving? You do have 12 volt dc available. To install a built-in generator would cost you thousands! Like Maineah stated most of us who need a genny buy a portable one and mount it securely on the back. Couldn't afford the other option! Good Luck & Welcome!

Thanks so much for your reply, it's very helpful! I wanted the ac because myself and 3 other people will be using the rv for a month-long road trip and it gets pretty hot in there during the day (when we'll likely be doing most of our driving). The cab ac doesn't work, and I didn't think the cab ac would cut it, but maybe I'm wrong. Do you think cab ac would be sufficient? Regardless, I will definitely be mounting a portable generator if I decide to get one at all. Thanks again.

A working cab AC is designed to cool the cab of a PU. The best you can do is a curtain to keep the cool air in the cab. Every body else suffers. :ranting2:.

Depending where you are traveling the roof AC would keep "them" cool, but due to airflow it may not work super good for the cab. Most Toy ac are 13.5 k btu units and will need at least 2500w to run. Add hot weather and some altitude then you needing 3000w.

A cautionary tale the lower deserts in the southwest change all the rules. Cab and roof air together won't cut it, unless you think 85-90 is cool. . 

Hey swart, as OPs have stated no way will a cab air cool the coach! My cab AC is dead and too much $$ to fix it. That's why I went with the Honda. On my Dometic roof AC I'm able to adjust the air flow inside and I aim it down into the cab. Great cold breeze! But I live in Ohio not Colorado where elevation  is critical. BTW what BTU is your roof AC? If it's the 13.5K forget about Honda 2000i. Not enough watts. Like WME stated you need @ least a 2500 watt genny. Unfortunately a 3000 watt generator will weigh a ton for mounting on the rear! 

16 hours ago, swartnev said:

Thanks so much for your reply, it's very helpful! I wanted the ac because myself and 3 other people will be using the rv for a month-long road trip and it gets pretty hot in there during the day (when we'll likely be doing most of our driving). The cab ac doesn't work, and I didn't think the cab ac would cut it, but maybe I'm wrong. Do you think cab ac would be sufficient? Regardless, I will definitely be mounting a portable generator if I decide to get one at all. Thanks again.

Cab air is not sufficient in mine to cool the whole camper!  2, 2000 watt gensets can be paired or one larger one used.  The current king of good genny deals is a Refurbed Champion 3100 watt.  Lots of choices on portable gensets. 

My 2000 honda runs my 13.5 AC . I never thought about the back till i rode there. It does get hot. I was thinking of adding a secondary evap unit ( split system) to my cab ac..but in the end , easier to just do what everyone said and just run a gen on the rear carrier. One guy built a pretty good gen mount system in the utility box . It would probably run out in 4 hours but thats about the same time the toyohome will run out too....

Hey davidtan. Your very fortunate your Honda 2000i runs your 13.5k AC. Glad to hear that! I got beat up by some members here who did not believe my 2000i would run my 11k AC. Who cares. Thought I'd share some pictures of how I mount and run my Honda 2000i. I've attached the 30 amp cord securely to the side of Grannie.  The milk cartons were my buddy hunkaman (Joe) idea and creation. He cut and attached 2 milk cartons together to hold the genny. It fits perfect and you can access the pull rope through one of the milk cartons handle. Can also access all the controls! The milk cartons are very sturdy and I tie everything down with straps. I also made a rain cover out of a laundry basket and I keep it on and it also help conceal the Honda. Kinda Jed Clampet but who wants to look under an old laundry basket LOL!

_DSC0021.jpg

_DSC0022.jpg

_DSC0023.jpg

_DSC0024.jpg

_DSC0025.jpg

Edited by markwilliam1
more info

That's awesome mark, is it somehow attached so it can't be stolen?   Also curious about your siding on the rv.  I have a 1986 dolphin with fiberglass panels and would like to refurbish them and make them look nice like yours

Thanks Sherri! Yes I have the genny chained to my spare tire mount and also have a metal theft proof bracket installed around the handle to keep someone from cutting the handle and stealing it. My panels are fiberglass also. Grannie didn't look like this when I bought her. You can read my post "The Magic of Zep" to get an idea of how to improve your fiberglass panels. Good Luck and have Fun!

Wow WME that's quite a box but for $1100 I think I will live with my noisy Honda LOL!

Thank you mark, I'm just starting and hoping to turn what is pretty much a hot mess into my little dream machine.   It's terribly hot here so only get an hour or two in the morning on weekends, so far starting on the interior. I've got all the cabinets off the hinges and beginning my painting, and my aunt is recovering my cushions.  I have a long way to go and my eyes hurt from reading so much trying to get ideas and information   :)  

Currently looking for ideas for the shower area, believe it or not it's wallpaper on top of plywood.

We'd Love to see pictures Sherri. Good Luck!