Downsizing: Agony & Ecstacy

Greetings,

After several frustrating attempts at CL Toy search/purchase months ago, I'm back here again for more research/education.  My game plan has changed.  I'd thought earlier to find a Toy before selling or renting my little farm, thus giving myself time to work out the bugs before hitting the road for what I expect will be a grand adventure.   Repairing, downsizing, packing & sorting the contents of over four decades ain't like moving out of a college dorm!   Perhaps some of you *know exactly* what I mean...& yes, I should have tackled this dissolution a decade ago.)

Here in CA there are a lot of Toys on offer.  When I am ready to find one I plan to rent a car & take the required amount of time to find a good one.  Meanwhile, I try to avoid even so much as a peek at CL.  I was pleased to log in here today & find a discussion of insurance, since I recall having a similar challenge insuring for a realistic replacement value on my vintage VW Westy.  

It's good to be "back" & digging in once again.   Hello again & best wishes to you all.   Especially Linda & Derek!

Welcome Back! Yes I started the post on insurance after finding Erie Insurance won't cover my Toy due to age! Am hoping for some insight from other members here. Good luck on your search! It seems Toys in CA. are much higher priced than other areas of the Country! 

Hi Mark & thanks for the welcome!

How right you are re the sticker shock on CA Toys.  But CA is where I am & once ready to buy there will likely be a good selection to choose from.  Not to mention the mild coastal weather, so much better for a road trip with my hound in tow.  Depending on the season, Las Vegas might do as well, or even AZ if, after working my way south down the CA coast,  I've found nothing closer. 

Above all else, except for an interior re-do (fresh paint, slip covers, etc.) I will NOT be in the mood for a serious project.  I am up to my eyeballs here, with little working capital & no hired help available.  I expect to be exhausted & burned out once I finish up here.   This project is daunting & at times seems impossible.   Goddess only knows if I will manage it!  Like many boomers looking to downsize, I am praying the latest housing bubble doesn't burst before my great escape.

(Mark, BTW, as my hound at 40 lbs looks to be perhaps about the same size as your featured sidekick, do you travel in a Toy with a crate?  If so, where do you put it?  My rescue coonhound came crate trained & adores her den--but it's 3 feet long...but perhaps I should have asked this question in the pet forum...oops.)

That's OK my pups are Minnie Aussies weigh in around 22 lbs. Apiece. They absolutely love traveling in Grannie! Just me and them. No crates free roaming. When camping Luci can jump up into the overhead bed and look out the windows. When driving one has her head on my lap and the other on the passenger seat. When you get your Toy come to Ohio and we can have a caravan! I'm a baby boomer also and enjoying retirement. Good Luck downsizing Dear