Exterior Painting Question

N-Hubb

I will be buying a 1987 Toyota Dolphin on Monday and i am very excited. The interior has already been updated. I will be painting the exterior of this monster sometime soon after i buy it. I just want to know if anyone else here has taken on the challenge of painting the exterior and if so do you have any suggestions on how I should do this. I have not painted any type of vehicle before lol so anything you can recommend  I would greatly appreciate. Found a couple of cool pictures just to add to this post. 

1986-Toyota-Dolphin-RV-for-Sale.jpg

1986-Toyota-Dolphin-Motorhome-for-Sale.jpg

10 hours ago, gabe_1994rig said:

I'm fixing to paint my 1994 Itasca...... bought some Rust-Oleum sand color paint. Going to use my Wagner spray gun

I am the last person to be commenting on painting, I don't like to paint, I don't like the smells and the chemicals and the clean up,

However Rustoleum has several different paints, the original Rustoleum took forever to dry and would collect dust, bugs and debris for days.  I would be cautious and use a fast drying paint! Not sure if they have a hardener for Rustoleum or not? 

I recently did the inside of tubing with original Rustoleum and after days it was not 100% dry. 

Read up on '$50 paint job' and also investigate Interlux Brightside yacht paint.

Are you thinking of spraying, brushing or rolling? Outdoor or do you have a place to paint (and dry) under cover? Got neighbors who will complain about odors and/or overspray?

Rattlecans give, in my experience, a rather 'non-glossy' finish. I'll have to experiment to see what happens if you apply ZEP over rattlecan paint. :)

Rule of thumb: "80% of a successful paint job is the prep work."

Mike, of BackroadsVanner (web & youtube) did an incredible exterior using Raptor bed liner paint.  Mike is a real perfectionist with all his projects, with an excellent website & videos.  All info is included: benefits of Raptor, amounts needed, simple equipment list, time involved, & cost.  Raptor paint dries fast!  It looks to be a reasonable DIY paint job, even in the open air.  The Raptor product offers more surface protection than regular paint & resists stone chips & hail damage.   The video is well produced & shows the entire process from start to finish.  Check it out! 

I painted my 1988 Dolphin with gloss white and hunter green Rustoleum. I used the brush and tip method, see how to do it on youtube. The gloss white has been on for several years and is holding up great. Just put the green on recently, not sure how that will hold up yet. Lots of prep time. There are some runs, but the over all improvement is profound. I get lots of comments. 

IMG_0009.jpg

Edited by 1988dolphin

• 2 weeks later...

Wow thanks everyone for all of your input. I was thinking about using a roller and rolling on some sort of oil based house paint but people keep telling me to get a paint gun and spray the rv. They say it will look much better that way lol. I was thinking about getting a spray gun at harbor freight and giving it a shot. I heard a lot about interluxe and was wondering if thats what you did derek. Looked up pictures and seems like pretty good stuff

Go to a Farm supply store and look at the farm equipment paint. Tractor paint is tough.