As my 1986 Gulfstrem gets rehabed,  I'm driving it more.  The more I drive it, I think that exhaust is leaking into the coach. Right now the tailpipe exits on the drivers side right in front of the rear wheels.  Is this correct?  I drive it with all the windows open.  The unit sat for years and smells musty, not mildewey, so I'm trying to air it out.

Just got the transmission serviced.  A cable going to the transmission was completely frozen/rusted.  Works great now. Next week the roof is getting strengthened.  Starting to get a noticeable "bowl" around the A/C.

The exhaust location is concerning though.  Is there a reliable method to determine whether a leak exists or how to locate it? The exhaust system has less than 3000 miles on it.

Thanks in advance for your excellent advice. 

Edited by Douglas17313

Im still learning the mechanical stuff, but my exhaust snakes from the drivers side by the rear wheels, around the black and grey tanks to the rear bumper on the passenger side.

The previous owner had the exhaust routed to exit just in front of the rear wheels which is just under the largest window above the couch/bed.  I can't help but wonder if this allows the exhaust to enter the coach. Your setup seems much more practical and logical.

Driving with the windows open creates a low pressure in the rv and will suck in the exhaust. As an experiment close ALL the windows and roof vents and turn on the heater fan to full and see what happens to the smell.

Sounds like he just replaced the exhaust with stock pipes from short bed truck. Just bought the cheapest. What's your wheel base. Until 1987 all frame extension were done by rv maker. 87 Toyota came out with extra long truck. 135 wheel base. All full sized ones from then on had that wheelbase. 

My friend has a Nova Star like mine, mine has the stock Toyota exhaust just in front of the rear wheel hers had the most amazing collections of bends leaving the rear on the opposite side of the motor home it was replaced with the stock system. Most seem to be on the left just in front of the wheel. I agree with WME leave the windows closed use the vents.

Man I'm so envious of you Nova Star owners.... my Favorite Toy home!!