I have an '87 Dolphin with the 22RE.  I also have a Honda Rebel (about 300#) I would like to carry on the back.  I have a light single rail motorcycle carrier that will plug into my receiver.

Important questions:

Am I overloading it?  Will it significantly affect handling (make the front end light)?  Would it be better to add a front receiver/hitch and carry the Rebel in the front?  Is this likely to decrease airflow to the radiator?

The rear mount system will extend the load back about 2 1/2 feet from the rear bumper thus causing some dragging over dips and driveways.

The front mount option seems good, but I really need all your expert advice and comments.  Thanks so much!

I personally would not put that much weight on the rear. Many factors to consider. Are your bumper extensions beefed up significantly? You mentioned having a hitch installed. Is it welded to the frame? Sitting that far back would be enormous pressure. Consider bouncing around from rough roads etc. with that much weight moving up and down. Do you have a lot of ground clearance in the rear? I would imagine the carrier dragging or bottoming out often on hills especially that far back in the rear. Do you have new shocks and springs? Don't know about a front mount but I'd think air flow to the radiator would be restricted. Remember these 4 bangers dont have enough power and most of our rigs are already overloaded especially with full water tanks, battery, etc. and you'd be adding a lot of extra weight on top of that! Just my 2 cents. More knowledgeable members will chime in. Good Luck and especially be safe!

We just came back from a 3 week trip in our 20' model (so less overhang behind rear wheels then most on here).  Previous owner had welded a 1.25" hitch to the rear bumper and I've used it here and there towing a small trailer and with a 2-bicycle rack - no problems.  On this recent trip we took a 4-bike rack (with 4 bikes) ... this was not a good idea.  Half way through the trip I realized the frame was bending, no severely but enough that the hitch was bending down; on steep driveways the bike rack started to drag.  We finished the trip with just 2 bikes on the rack and put 2 of them in the coach.  

The static situation was fine, but some of those bounces while driving were huge and must have placed big forces on the metal back there.  Yesterday I jacked up the hitch and managed to bend everything back straight.  This week I'll take it to a metal/welding shop and have the area reinforced - I think it should be OK then.  The bikes and rack all together weigh 150 or 175lbs - it's not the extra weight but the bending forces created when hitting a bump that I want to be prepared for.  

Truck driver told me to take all inclines at an angle and won't scrape.  Takes a bit of getting use to but I have not scrapped my extended rack since I started doing it.  I do have to skip a few places here and there as I cannot angle it. 

my warrior's owners manual forbids trailering anything.

The chassis ends at the aft end of the rear leaf springs.  The extension is beefy enough for the cabin, but not for towing anything.  Might want to lay on your back and take a really good look at how yours is constructed

Just now, DanAatTheCape said:

my warrior's owners manual forbids trailering anything.

The chassis ends at the aft end of the rear leaf springs.  The extension is beefy enough for the cabin, but not for towing anything.  Might want to lay on your back and take a really good look at how yours is constructed

Clarification:  I am not TOWING (or trailering) anything.   I will be CARRYING a 300# motorcycle.  Rear carry vs. front carry.  I appreciate your input and I have decided against carrying on the back .  I have pretty much decided to carry on the front because of the rear weight, overhang, and dragging problems.  I am also familiar with the owners manual recommendations about weight limits and towing.   My only concern at this point is front mount problems such as airflow and anything else someone may be aware of.  Otherwise, I think front mount will be better weight and handling wise.  I do have new Bilstein shocks and the front suspension is in good solid shape.

Again, are there any other thoughts on the front mount idea?  Am I missing anything?  Does anyone have any experience with using a front mount hitch?

Thanks, mucho!

42 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

Forward visibility? You might want to mock it up before you get the welding gear out.

Thanks Derek.  Good point. Never thought of that.  I'll measure the height of the MC before I install the mount.  Other than that, can you think of any other considerations?

Derek, 

Another good point.  I did a little measuring and have decided that it is not going to work because of the decreased visability. It would be about a foot (what's that in meters) above the hood.  HOWEVER,  this really was a great idea whose time just has not come!  Thanks for your input and help.

Maybe I could put the bike inside or on the roof.  Hmmmm.  Or maybe I just need a bigger motorhome.  On second thought, maybe not.

I seem to remember a cradle that plugged into the receiver and you put the bikes front wheel in the cradle and towed it like a one wheel trailer.

56 minutes ago, WME said:

I seem to remember a cradle that plugged into the receiver and you put the bikes front wheel in the cradle and towed it like a one wheel trailer.

Yup this looks like a great idea. Might actually be Ok on a Toyota motorhome

Linda S

https://www.amazon.com/TMS-MotorcycleStand-SC1307A-Motorcycle-Trailer-Carrier/dp/B005XDM0XO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499658437&sr=8-1&keywords=motorcycle+towing+cradle

Thanks Linda,

Looks good, but I have a concern about dragging the MC long distances on the road like that. Also concerned about damage to MC transmission.

So I think it's back to square one.

I have a small highway trailer that weighs 150#.  With the 300# MC total weight would be around 450# with an approx. hitch weight of 45#.  I have replaced the original tin foil bumper with a heavy duty steel bumper (homemade).  With those stats, I don't see how that would make a significant difference, do you? Frame bumper attachments have been reinforced.

Can you give me your blessing on this option?

Toyohome (Paul)

I do not have an engineering degree or a structural integrity back ground, I also have no idea what the underneath of your Toy looks like.   I gleaned what I could from the internet and decided the rear of my 93 Sea Breeze would be strong enough to support 200 lbs.  From what I have been reading my Toy's extensions are superior to lots of other's although it does say no towing.  I also took into consideration the "crack the whip" effect the weight will have that far behind the rear wheels.

I built my rack and the weight of the equipment to be under 200 lbs and am comfortable I am not stressing the frame extensions.  I did attach my rack on both frame extensions so it is not moving around causing more stress. I have put 10,000 miles on it so far and see no issues as of yet.

Driving north on I 95 I passed a Sea Breeze exactly like mine flat towing a car, go figure! 

A LONG time ago I towed a MC across the country using a home made setup. I removed the front wheel and welded a large bolt to a spare MC front axle. Just bolted it to the hitch, removed the chain. The MC was real bouncy so I made container and put 2 bags of sand in it. Smoothed things out a lot.