Suggestions for replacement water pump?

My water pump (in the sofa) has been intermittently failing to function, and I think it finally gave up the ghost. I've checked the electrical side and all is well. It appears that either the sensor part or motor part has been dying/has died.

What pump do you recommend to replace it? It might be nice to have a quieter one; but my priority is reliability I guess. If you would like to see and hear my pump; here is a short video of it's death throws. Sorry for the poor quality:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9larettgyn6klv9/File Jul 05%2C 10 27 21 PM.mov?dl=0

Let me know if this video is difficult to view and I can upload to my youtube instead.

My thought is I will replace it and then disassemble the old one and attempt to rebuild it for learning purposes and to have a spare.

All the information you need to buy a new pump is on your old one. You want to buy a pump with similar gallons per minute and pressure. Shur Flo are very good pumps and that's what I replaced my old one with probably around 10 years ago. Nothing lasts forever but 25 years for a little pump like this is pretty darn good.

Linda S

Thanks much Linda. I'll look for a similarly spec'd Shur Flo and post my results here for the community. I agree that pump has had an amazingly long life -- so much of the equipment on this RV was really well made. 

I have always upgraded to the quietest one you can buy. They have a smaller flow rate though. But having that pump sound be almost quiet is really nice. I might also note that I always replace my shower head with one of those dish rinse off sprayers for residential kitchen sinks. 

On 7/9/2017 at 3:55 PM, DanAatTheCape said:

Have you tested for power actually reaching the pump?   A bad switch can cause what you are experiencing.  

Yes, meter shows power at the pump. But I will double check with several on-off cycles of the switch while my daughter watches the volt-meter just to make sure there aren't any secondary issues. I'll bring some switch cleaner with me just in case.

On 7/10/2017 at 2:13 PM, Gulfstream Greg said:

I have always upgraded to the quietest one you can buy. They have a smaller flow rate though. But having that pump sound be almost quiet is really nice. I might also note that I always replace my shower head with one of those dish rinse off sprayers for residential kitchen sinks. 

That does sound nice, but too late :-)  I went with this Shur Flo:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C1M6B1C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I guess in the grand scheme of things I decided I'm more into reliability than noise...as it really isn't running that much. Good point on the shower head though.

I've been waiting for my 10 year old daughter to have time available from her busy summer schedule to do the installation. I feel like this is a great opportunity to teach about DC motors, sensors, and plumbing; so she is going to install it tomorrow afternoon with assistance from me. I'll post here after installation in case anyone is interested.

In the mean time I have my refrigerator half un-installed to fix some mounting issues that effected the door...so that has kept me busy. What a mess my normally orderly RV is in at the moment. This is all part of the fun though :-)

On 7/6/2017 at 11:07 AM, Derek up North said:

If you want people to think you've done a Small Block Chevy swap, install the old pump to under the hood! :)

I don't know how your pump is currently installed, but consider modifying a bit with flexible mounts to reduce noise transmission.

59681b16c6ca8_Image41.jpg.1ec397c35444b2e6ee1674b51cf65962.jpg

The new Shur Flo includes nice tall rubber grommets that should do the trick. Or at least they seem far superior to the plastic base on the original equipment pump.

I have to do this to my 1991 warrior . Do you have to remove the Sofa. Or are you getting you daughter to crawl under LOL

Mine is at the outside wall between the water tank and the wheel well.

On 7/14/2017 at 5:53 AM, cliffhanger4 said:

I have to do this to my 1991 warrior . Do you have to remove the Sofa. Or are you getting you daughter to crawl under LOL

Mine is at the outside wall between the water tank and the wheel well.

On the Dolphin there is plenty of room to work when the sofa is "half way" switched. So we can easily reach in there and work without having to remove anything. 

We had to re-schedule; but I will post pictures when we do the swap.

Hey Mark, got the same type of sofa so access was good. I replaced mine with a surflo also. Much quieter than the old one. I put some indoor-outdoor carpet over the top for added sound damping. Can barely hear it run now. My suggestion, if not already installed, is a bypass valve so you can pump antifreeze from the jug instead of the fresh water tank.