How much propane do you actually need?

I have space for 2 tanks in my 1985 Sunrader 18 footer, but do I really need two heavy tanks?  How long does one tank get you when you're full timing?  any ideas?  Normal water heater, stove with oven, and refrigerator setup.

2 hours ago, TheGrayOutdoors said:

I have space for 2 tanks in my 1985 Sunrader 18 footer, but do I really need two heavy tanks?  How long does one tank get you when you're full timing?  any ideas?  Normal water heater, stove with oven, and refrigerator setup.

I would want two - running out is a pain, especially if you need/ want refrigeration.   How much do those tanks weigh anyway?

Fridge uses very little. I have run mine for months without running out on an 8 gallon permanent mounted tank. Cooking uses some but your not cooking all the time. Water heater uses a ton. I think more than the furnace.

Linda S

Thanks for the replies.  Linda, do you have pictures of your tank?  Where did you get it from?  I'm getting ready to install solar and things are getting heavy and really tight with two batteries and potentially two 20 gallon tanks.

Thanks

Your rig has room for two 5 gallon tanks not 20. They would be 20 pound tanks. Same weight as 2 barbeque tanks. Even if you decide to go with one tank it will last a very long time provided you don't leave the water heater on. Unless your going to the snow somewhere no reason to even need it. Your water in your fresh tank is at ambient temp, same as outside or little warmer. Not cold. No I don't have pics but looks like this except for different size. My tank was standard equipment by 1986.

Linda S

http://www.rvpartscountry.com/RV-Gas-Tank.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwnPLKBRC-j7nt1b7OlZwBEiQAv8lMLKMlv4TazMJsYxAYYnpbySx1NPI6XmoFr3GVrWROBXAaAuwL8P8HAQ

Beware showers in an 18 footer can be a problem. Black tank is only 9 gallons and shower drains into it. When it's full poopy comes up your bathroom floor

I have 6 Gal propane tank and when it's not leaking, it takes 2 years for me to fill up. I don't have propane fridge but furnace and water heater do consume a bit when in use.

Linda,

I'm going to be putting a bypass valve on our drain from the shower which splits off into a bucket to save space on our black water tank.  I've experienced the overflow of blackwater when cleaning out the black water tank the first time.  I filled it up with water from the toilet while the valve was closed on the outside and it started coming through the shower drain.  I went into full on panic mode, haha.  We're going to be living full-time in the Sunrader for at least the next year, so I'm trying to keep the weight down and only bring essentials.  Two 5lb (sorry, not 5 gallon) tanks seem excessive, maybe I'll start with one.  We'll be using the fridge constantly, but traveling with the weather, so I don't see a big need for the heater and the water heater.  Although, we will be cooking ALOT.  

Thanks for the help everyone!

Just my thoughts but be very careful where you dump your waste water. Big fines @ National Parks and State Parks plus evictions especially if park personnel see a bucket anywhere near your black or grey holding tanks!

I second what Mark said. My daughter used to have an old trailer and back in the day grey tanks weren't required so it didn't have one. She was asked to leave a campground because the ranger saw the bucket. Common for them to do rounds in the evening and having to find someplace new to go when it's almost dark is not the kid of thing you want to deal with. I never use my shower. Find places with showers or someplace to swim to clean up. If your going to be in urban areas, joining a nationwide health club can be a great place to take nice warm showers. Have a friend who lived in his 18 foot Sunrader for years all the while working an office job in Los Angeles. Just went to the gym every morning to get ready

Linda S

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll plan on using this system to dump the shower water only when boon-docking.  If we're staying at a campground I imagine it won't be too hard to dump our blackwater every couple of days.  Good to know though as I would have done it and been screwed.  Still a newbie.  Thanks.