To snug or not to snug... bolts behind transmission pan?

Have an A43D transmission in my 1986 Toyota Sunrader.  

Heard from someone that while the transmission pan is off that it is prudent to go ahead and snug the accessible bolt on and around the valve body and strainer.   Something about helping the transmission to continue running well.

My question is whether it not this is sound advise?  

Recently drained and changed fluid, gasket and strainer.  

While the pan was off, I did go ahead and snug those up "for good measure".  

Ought I not have done this?  Could this possibly have hurt or hindered anything at all?

Also, failed to torque the 5 strainer bolts?  Pretty much snugged that up plus a quarter turn or so.

Edited by Mister Blu

Do i need to go back under there, remove pan, loosen, torque, and refit pan?

or, will I be able to wait 1000 miles before i drain and refill.

Amsoil Signature ATF is not cheap.

Yet, far less expensive than a transmission repair.

Please advise.

Don't think it would hurt anything if the strainer fell right off into the pan. Kind of useless. too big to get sucked anywhere and clog anything. when you do drain it save the darn fluid and reuse it. Just wipe everything down really well and keep it clean. or run it through a paint strainer. If they are fine enough to save your spray gun from clogging the should work fine for the trannie.

Linda S

My concern is not so much the strainer... but all the other bolts on the valve body and other things?

Already put a wrench on every one of the bolts that are readily visible once pan is removed.

Only snugged the i s that would snug.  

Did i do a 'don't do'?

Edited by Mister Blu

I don't honestly know. I know that I over-snugged my pan bolts and cracked the seal not once but twice. My son-in-law finally fixed it and looked at me like I was an idiot. So I know that some bolts are not supposed to be too tight.

Linda S